Fertilizer vs Plant Food

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by daggett003, Jun 17, 2008.

1. daggett003

daggett003 Member

This may sound like a stupid question but, is there a difference between fertilizer and plant food? If so, how do I use each of them? It seems my Pachira Aquatica and Ficus Microcarpa seem to have there own special requirements for fertilizer so I do not think I can jus follow the instructions on the bag.

thanks for your help!

Daggett003

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Trying to understand and learn by asking questions is NOT asking stupid questions at all:)

For the two plants mentioned, you can use low doses of a balanced fertilizer, like 10-10-10, or 20-20-20. A higher middle number for flowering plants. Use half or less strength monthy or so in the growing season and they should do fine. I have never used the recommended dosage on the package. Those doses can be too high for indoor plants.

http://gardening.resourcesforattorneys.com/index.php?entry=entry070331-130856

3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Leaves make food.

Fertilizers and commercially packaged "plant foods" are basically more like nutrients, elements or substances.

But the figurative phrases still seem to get the job done.

"Feeding" seems like an okay way to describe fertilizing.