Fern care

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by riptidefrog, Feb 11, 2007.

1. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

I recently purchased a small Boston fern that is in fairly bad shape. It is in what i believe to be a 4 1/2" pot. I have never grown a boston fern and am not quite sure what to expect out of the plant. The fronds are fairly shortprobably not in excess of 6"

Are the fronds going to get longer or stay the same size? If they do get bigger do they do so proportionately or do they increase the number of leaflets on each frond?

Someone told me that using tea to water them is supposed to be good for them. Has anyone tried this? Results? I just recently watered the fern with some of my aquarium water. A wise move?

Also its in a fairly small pot, how long do you think before i need a bigger pot? Does the plant like to be a bit rootbound or does it prefer to have lots of room down there?

Thanks for any help you can give me, i have heard that these are really hard to grow and im really hoping i can help the plant flourish