feeding

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by rosepedal, Jan 20, 2008.

1. rosepedal

rosepedal Member

I have grow three avocados from seeds,one is a Florida one two are hass could you please tell me what to feed them ,also about how old do the hass have to be to produce fruit. thank you rosepedal

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Best to sample your soil and have it tested first. Check with Florida Cooperative Extension.

3. rosepedal

rosepedal Member

thanks all it is a bunch of sand nothing elese

4. Ron B

Not unexpected in Florida.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG213

Note, that despite blanket recommendations given at pages linked to successful fertilization depends on matching nutrients applied in particular product to specific combination of nutrients present in your soil. Fertilization program like one detailed at link would have to be based on assumption of same general soil conditions throughout region served. Maybe you have a soil that needs that same combination of nutrients in the same amounts, at the same intervals, and maybe you don't.

5. rosepedal

rosepedal Member

thank you

thank you very much i will check on it

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Many door yard avocados in Florida are fertilized much the same as citrus. As Ron suggested you can ask for assistance from your Extension agent, or fertilize as many Floridians do using a complete fertilizer containing trace minerals such as 6-6-6, 8-8-8 or a 10-10-10 depending on the age of the tree. Use a 10-10-10 only on trees older than 3 year old. - Millet

7. rosepedal

rosepedal Member

thank you

Millet ,thank you thats what i am gonna do feed them like the Fl do vicky

8. Ron B

Although there are extensive areas with similar soils in Florida a fertilization program should, as elsewhere be tailored to the specific conditions of the site being fertilized. Otherwise, the product used may not have the right combination - resulting in not enough or too much of an ingredient being applied. The chances of ANY site happening to need all 3 primary nutrients in an all-the-same number ratio like 10-10-10 for instance seems pretty remote.

9. rosepedal

rosepedal Member

My house and land sits on a old citrus site there is no more trees here,i will check on the soil thank you