fast growing trees for Kamloops Region?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Pauline, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Pauline

Pauline Member

I am looking for some fast growing trees to camouflage the cement plant on the western border of our property. They would get lots of full sun but not much water. We have an irrigation system for the hay field which would provide them with water about every 2 weeks from the end of April to mid September. Summers here are typically hot and dry (average 30 degrees) and cold dry winters (average -12). Any suggestions? (Messy trees, allergies, not a problem.) Thanks for your help. I'm new to this site.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

talk to the folks at Art Knapps in town, they will have good ideas with local knowledge.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ponderosa Pine, assuming you want something evergreen. If visibility of the factory in winter doesn't matter, hybrid poplars will be faster.

4. Pauline

Pauline Member

Thank you jimmyq and Michael,
    You replied so quickly. I have not yet checked at Art Knapps but I do have a concern with planting Ponderosa pines as we have severe problems throughout BC with pine beetles and spruce bud worms and as for the hybrid poplars, dont they require lots of water and Kamloops is classed as semi-arid climate. We grow wonderful sagebrush and tumbleweeds and along the rivers Russian Olives but is there a true desert heat loving tree that wont take 20 years to gain height? I am on a quest so again I thank you for the quick responses. Pauline

5. smivies

smivies Active Member

I think with the concern over pine beetles, spruce budworm, and dry climate, all the fast growing options you had have been exhausted. Fast growing trees in a cold, dry climate are almost exclusively conifers. Hybrid Poplars, Cottonwoods, & Aspen do grow fast but need the water so they either grow at higher (moister) altitudes or on the moist valley bottoms.

Is it too dry for White Fir, Grand Fir, or Western Larch?

You want a Eucalyptus....to bad it's too cold.

Simon

6. P Davis

P Davis Member

I live just along from you Pauline and like you am trying to find trees to enhance our property. I have planted a number of Maples and have found them to like our temp and are growing with little watering. Feel free to view 3167. Pat.

7. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

Since they will get regular water (every two weeks) hybrid poplars would do well. I grew up on the prairies and all the farmers planted them as windbreaks. Most never got regular water and still thrived. They did control weeds/grasses by plowing though...

A row of Lombardies would look quite nice. Black locust could be an option too.