Fast Growing Tree?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Paulina, Feb 12, 2006.

1. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Try Gleditsia...

2. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

Maybe a couple of Leyland Cypress?

3. Puddleton

Puddleton Active Member 10 Years

Consider a non invasive clump forming bamboo variety. Depending on exactly where you are in BC will either decrease or increase your choices.
    Bambusa textilis "gracillus" (slender weavers bamboo) or B textilis "Fasca" are two outstanding varieties, providing privacy without the expense of excessive shading from trees or asthma attacks from platanus. Both varieties are hardy to approx 5 degree c. The main downside I have with them is they need plenty of water till theyre established. On a bright note, they will happily consume greywater irrigation which Ive found very useful.

4. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    In the end, this is what I settled for... I think it's called a Curly Willow. My neighbour has one, and it's grown metres and metres since we've been here. They cut all their branches off last year (they're now regretting it, because it weakened the branches), but we got two very beautiful branches from them, so I wove them together and now look what I've got! It's already grown about 4' just in branches this year. It LOVES water, so I get my daycare kiddies to 'water the baby tree' every day, they love the fact that they're helping the 'baby tree' grow.

Attached Files:

5. n2havfun03

n2havfun03 Member

Hi Paulina,

It looks like it's been 2 years since your last pic of the tree you ended up with, can you send me a current picture of it? Are you happy with it now? I'm in the same situation you were a few years ago.

Thanks!!

Lisa

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Another problem with the snow gum is that is is not a type that can have branches cut from it for feeding the animals, unlike the cider gum (E. gunnii).

The two Robinia mentioned are R. pseudoacacia 'Frisia', a form of black locust with yellow leaves, and R. Purple Robe, a hybrid with purple flowers. Definitely different plants.

7. Dutchman

Dutchman Active Member 10 Years

If you're still looking for a Eucalyptus, this is s Silver Dollar (Eucyluptus Polyanthemos) which I planted 7/4/86. A neighbor found it lying in the middle of a nearby state highway and gave it to us on our first anniversary in Tucson, Az. It was 3' tall and almost dead, but why not! You see the result, but they do drop leaves and small branches if it's windy. :-)

Attached Files:

8. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

The fastest growing tree by far, that I know of is the weeping willow. Just find yourself a big branch, the bigger, the better and stick it into the ground. No leaves- no twigs, just a post. I did that quite a few years ago with one, that was about 6 inches dia at the butt end, sticking out about 5 feet. Two years later we could picnic under the drooping branches sheltered from view. It needs lots of water, but it will grow like wildfire. You can plant other trees around or between them, which will take over in the long run.

This is the time of the year (maybe already a bit late) when people cut back their weeping willows and poplars. You should be able to find some good, solid posts in your neighbourhood. As I said, ‘the bigger, the better’; if you can barely lift it, it is just right. :)

Just one caveat:
    keep it away from sewer and drain pipes. The roots will invade them and eventually plug them.