Fall planting/transplant

Discussion in 'Maples' started by jacquot, Oct 12, 2008.

1. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I think I remember reading that spring planting and especially transplanting is recommended over fall. For what I've placed in the landscape I think I've always planted in the spring, but I'm planning to plant a couple of trees that are probably 4 and 5 years old--one dissectum (selecting between a few) and a white tigress--and transplant another dissectum, Goshiki shidare, that is probably a 5 or 6 year tree now and went into the landscape just last spring. Am I better off waiting until spring? The nursery trade here usually tells you fall is 'the best' time, and I have been told about root growth in the fall to get established, but I think someone on the list said that was more marketing strategy to get rid of stock and it was better to wait and plant when dormant in early spring. David

2. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Jacquot,

I believe that fall planting or re-potting is a good practice in places where the ground stays frostless long enough to get decent root growth. I'm also in Z7. Here the soil doesn't get below 40F until into December. I usually plant or re-pot in late sept to early Oct, I believe the 8-10 weeks before the soil gets cold allows for decent root growth that gives a boost to the spring flush.

There was a good discussion of this topic here.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

In USDA 7 you could probably plant all winter. But fall is definitely the prime time for hardy stock, for multiple reasons.

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

for me is better this period, because jm prefer ,wake up in soil ,when spring coming....

5. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thank you all, I'm going to do my work this fall, including repotting. Great advice here, as always. David

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

In a climate with mostly warm and wet winters, I find planting in spring is better for trees that are particularly susceptible to pseudomonas. This includes of course various palmatums. (Or should we say palmata? Hmm)

If I am planting sycamores or field maples, fall is best. But here, or perhaps through most of the UK and the Pacific NW, I would suggest early spring.

In Larchmont I agree completely, plant in fall.

7. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Planting in autumn has always been my preferred option
    I agree with Alex ... I firmly believe that these plants prefer to wake up in spring having had the winter to establish themselves and get ready for the 'off'
    Whilst we would never have 'warm' winters, nevertheless we do not have deep freezing conditions either. This means that here in Northern Ireland newly planted trees in autumn would never run the risk of a deep freeze on the root system before they can get established
    Mind you ... conditions are changing and we are getting more rainfall than we used to have (or am I just imagining that? :))