Fall colours 2017

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ROEBUK, Sep 24, 2017.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Beautiful photos everyone! Every year I am grateful for the generous contributions from everyone in the Spring and Fall! It's always a real treat and a rare chance to see everyone's beautiful trees and gardens around the world without ever leaving my living room! Thank you to all the generous members that make this the best maple source on the web. Special thanks to UBC for hosting a great forum where beauty and knowledge can be shared by people who share a passion for maples. It's not only great for the members, but also those who visit and learn so much, "catch the bug," which is awesome for the horticulture industry and the environment!

maplesmagpie, jfuller and opusoculi like this.
  2. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Oh yes ! I like your praises. Splendid panegyric John.
    Here in the South-west of France, until today the nights were too hot. The colors of Maples are slow to come.
    First is Acer davidii, although all the branches do not colour all unit…
    Even thing for Cappadocicum aureum, infortunatly.

Attached Files:

JT1 likes this.
  3. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Trees of any kind have been slow to turn here on Long Island. It has been exceptionally warm and very dry so far. It should pick up soon. A cold front is moving through right now.

My only tree to show real color has been my Sango Kaku, although I noticed two leaves on my Viridis have turned yellow as of yesterday. None of my others have shown much sign of fall color. I was looking forward to my Autumn Moon this season but it is very scorched with not many leaves left to turn, I moved it to a more sheltered location for next year.

Attached Files:

4. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

And like someone flipped a switch this Ariadne went from green on Tuesday to this:

Attached Files:

5. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks John for that, it certainly has been a challenge this year not the greatest of years for the trees in the UK, good spring and summer leaf but the change just came to early with the awful weather we seem to have had all year, very few warm sunny days and then what seemed to be just lot's of cold rainy days with plenty of strong winds , trees were turning in late August and then it just seemed to be a race which cultivars could drop their leaves the quickest. The colours came and went in a breath, some trees changed then the crazy winds again just blew them straight off , so that was a dissapointment to say the least.

Just have a few of the more well established trees to turn now, these seem to coping a bit better with the conditions.

Never mind always next year to look forward to and start all over again.

6. ROEBUK

Pictures of some of the dissectums which managed to hang on this October , most have now dropped though.

Attached Files:

chimera, opusoculi and emery like this.
  7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I've often heard that 'O-sakazuki' has the best autumn colours. I think it's true! (and the photo doesn't show the contrast between the red of the leaves and the other colours around):

acerp-o-sakazuki_sam_171104a.jpg

I'm thinking of planting it in the ground: can it stand the full sun all day long?...

8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It can indeed. This maple rarely burns.

9. AlainK

Thanks Emery.

Now I have to wait for my son to take the time to remove a Kolreuteria that has become much too big. It produced som many seeds each year that I have plenty of seedlings all around...

10. ROEBUK

Alain just bear in mind that these are prolific growers in the ground , have two of these and the one i have in the ground will take as much cutting back as i am prepared to give it every year and you wouldn't know that i had done anything to it come the following year just grows back stronger a real tough cultivar this one , plus the one i have in a container i kept in nearly full sun at the top of the garden and i it just flourished all season, added a couple of pics to show.

Attached Files:

11. AlainK

Thanks for the tips ROEBUK.

Where I might plant it, it can grow up to 6-7 metres or more, and it's only 1,30 - 1,50 metre so far.

So maybe in the next years the passers-by will stop and say "Oh, my! Look at this tree!"

Go, go,..
    . ;°)

12. ROEBUK

Or you could try Nicholsonii this is on a par for red colours in the fall with Osakazuki , stands the sun no problem plus has a lovely spring and summer coloured leaf.

13. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

The fall colors are just starting in our garden. Rainy morning, so I hope to get more pictures when the rain stops and before the wind sets in later today. Here is a quick picture of Aconitifolium, coral pink, Autumn moon, and ryusen. The front yard (from inside) is further behind except for Sharp's Pygmy. Stewartia pseudocamellia was glowing in near darkness at day break early yesterday morning.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    AlainK, chimera, emery and 1 other person like this.
  14. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Every year our Aconitifolium has splashes of colors on all the leaves, with one branch with small leaves and deep red color. When the branch was just a twig years ago, I presumed the leaves are small because the branch is weak and that I would lose the branch over Winter. But every year it comes back and continues to grow. The leaves are closely spaced, much smaller, and the branch is slower growing. Here is a picture showing the regular leaves with the branch of smaller leaves in the lower center left (along with Acer palmatum 'Coral Pink' to the right of the tree). The second picture closer up is showing the smaller leaves with a few near by regular leaves hanging in the picture for comparison. Anyone else notice differences like this in your tree?

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  15. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

After a day of heavy rain, Sever thunderstorms and a tornado warnings; this morning is windy and raw. here are some pictures taken from inside of the bonsai and back yard. I hope tomorow lends itself to better conditions to get some better photos.
    Sharp's pygmy and mikawa yatsubusa seedling
    Ginkgo biloba mariken and Sharp's pygmy
    Shishigashira, few pictures
    Acer palmatum
    Sharp's pygmy on front porch
    Hana matoi
    Back yard

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  16. AlainK

Great pics again, thanks JT1.

17. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks! I can't wait to get that shishishagira bonsai into a better pot next late winter / early spring. As you noticed that pot takes away from the tree. It served a good purpose taking the tree from a 7 or 10 gallon nursery pot into growing as bonsai. I found a few large pots this season that are glazed and oval which I hope let's the tree be the star!

18. AlainK

Very few top-shelf 'Shishigashira' bonsai can be seen online or in exhibitions. Yours seems to be on the right path ;-)

JT1 likes this.
  19. AlainK

I prefer oval pots for deciduous.

Maybe something like:

shishi-JT1.jpg

JT1 likes this.
  20. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here are few more, getting on with cold weather, a little white some mornings, and rain. Funny for many fall colors are only now beginning, I hope folks will continue the thread to give the rest of us some vicarious enjoyment! Here we are starting to get that sad and soggy end of season feeling.

These came up in reverse order, so read the list from the bottom up. :)

- Koto no ito, always a late one.
    - 2 pics of an amoenum seedling I selected for the fall color. No filter! A very pretty maple in spring, too.
    - A. micranthum 'Candelabrum' framed by 'Osakazuki'. The latter never really hit it's normal full on red this year.
    - Another selection that will never be named but is a lovely tree, subtle fall color, dark ruby leaves in spring contrast with bright green bark.
    - Hogyoku, sick with verticillium but hanging in there.
    - Shojoh lighting up a corner
    - Paperbark maple.
    - Chitose yama (European/Japanese form, apparently) always leaves a bright carpet.
    - A.tchonoskii ssp koreanum, very orange but difficult to get a good pic it seems

Attached Files:

21. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Love the red shadow on the ground of the second photo! It's always great whenever you can capture that when there's still leaves on the tree. You get the best of both worlds. Beautiful photos Emery!

22. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here are some photos from today. i find it hard to decide which photos to cut, so here is my best effort to limit the photos. i kind of failed. Calling for snow Thursday into Friday!

Starting with the updated bonsai colors.

Lastly, the yellow leaves of bi hoo (aka bi hou aka boo hoo) matching the bark. PS, if you want to grow this tree successfully get a cedar box and no soil, just pine bark and pine fines. No black since it's been out of the ground.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    AlainK likes this.
  23. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Today's photos continued...
    Aconitifolium

Attached Files:

kgeezy20 and AlainK like this.
  24. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Continued photos 2...