eucalyptus

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by kwalamor, Aug 1, 2007.

1. kwalamor

kwalamor Member

My 10', 5 year-old eucalytus perriniana appears to have died as it turned a rust-yellow color and all the leaves have fallen, yet there are also multituinous healthy green suckers below. Is there still life in it or should I dig it up and replace it with another?

2. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

Hello kwalamor

If there are a multitude of new shoots appearing the plant is trying to repair itself. Eucalypts have an amazing ability to shoot out after fire damage and also after what seems to be certain death. I would wait and see what it does.

I have attached a photo from UBC botanical gardens showing the regrowth on some of the cold damaged trees. A fabulous thing to see life reappearing and the determination of these trees.

Attached Files:

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, last winter was really rough for the eucalyptus here at the garden. Most of the trees are resprouting vigorously from the base and up the main branches. A visitor from Australia said he had seen this happen to trees in their native habitat and that they recover their former fullness after about five years. Not sure how they will respond here, but they do seem to be well on the way to recovery. In a home landscape you may not want to wait years for a nice tree or you may be as intrigued to watch the process of recovery as we are here.

4. kwalamor

kwalamor Member

I am intrigued and extremely grateful not only to have the acreage and time to watch the re-growth, but also for the generosity of your gardening wisdom.
    Grazie, Merci, Vielen Danke & Muchos Gracias !