Eucalyptus trees for south Texas

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by George, Sep 17, 2004.

1. George

George Member

I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for me. I was in San Francisco in the early part of August. I saw some trees that had colorful orange/red flowers on them and was told they were Eucalyptus. I live in central Texas where temperatures in the summer of 100 degrees fahrenheit are common. Does anyone know if there is a type of Eucalyptus that is suited for my climate? The average rainfall is between 29 and 31 inches but may vary significantly in any one year. I would appreciate hearing from anyone with any ideas. Thank you. George

2. trying 2B organic

trying 2B organic Member

The Southeast USA and Texas (referring especially to USDA zones 7 - 8) have very hot summers and mild winters with occasional hard freezes. It is difficult to say what species will ultimately prove successful in this region, since it is too cold in winter for most of the heat-loving tropical and desert species, and too hot in summer for many of the hardy alpine species. I would suggest that some of the best species for this region include E. aggregata, E. alaticaulis, E. camphora, E. cinerea, E. goniocalyx, E. mannifera and its subspecies, E. neglecta, E. nicholii, E. nortonii, E. nova-anglica, E. rodwayi, and E. stellulata; and possibly also E. bridgesiana, E. cephalocarpa, E. dives, E. morrisbyi, and E. tenuiramis.

found this for ya while trying to find out more about my own recent purchase ;]

3. I am in Wichita Falls and have had very good luck with E. neglecta, E. cineria, E. nicholii, E.camphora has done very well, and E. polyanthemos has done well but requires some winter protection (although I have one tree that has adopted a deciduous habit - dropping all leave,but flushing out again in the spring, no twig death)

hope that helps