Espalier and apple trees

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

At your last apple festival I bought two apple trees that I would like to train as an espalier (correct term?). I understand that in February I have to do the first pruning, two inches above the first wire (two feet). I noticed that one of the trees is not two feet tall. Do I wait until the next pruning time in June 2004? Why do some universities in the states recommend 18 inches instead of 24 inches? Can I string the wires at that interval after the first wire is kept at 24 inches off the ground? Or are the 24 inches better for our climate in the Lower Mainland?

2. Tony Maniezzo

Tony Maniezzo Active Member

the heights are not that important, either 18in. or 24in. would work

3. Helmut R. Weber

Helmut R. Weber Member

Pruning

Hi,
    what about the pruning, if the main branch is too short? Do I wait until the main branch is long enough to be pruned?
    Helmut Weber

4. Tony Maniezzo

Tony Maniezzo Active Member

I'm a bit surprised that the tree is'nt at least 2 ft. tall, but not to worry....you can wait until the tree grows a little taller or prune to just above a bud and train the uppermost bud upward, other buds below will also break into growth. Its decision time...you can use these shoots as your 1st tier by tieing them onto canes and lowering them down to the wire later in the year or you can remove them and start again when the tree is taller. I would tend to want to use them and not set the process back another year. I hope this helps, let me know how it goes by posting here or you can email me at: tony.maniezzo@ubc.ca