ER : slip-potting

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 20, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I lost my first Jerre-Swartcz after a rude winter. I was very happy with my new one, but me stupid moved it from 90% shade to 60% shade, except that it was in a place with no other maples, and I just fogot it for 2 or three days.

When I found it again, I was aghast : all the leaves were brown (but the sky was not gray). Stuoid me !

Well, when after a few days the leaves stick to the branch, no hope.

When when you pass your hand around the branches and the leaves fall, there's hope. It must be a symptom of new buds swelling.

So I thought giving the roots more air could help, so I slip-potted it adding a little more organic matter to the top, except for the last layer to prevent unwelcomed weeds :

acerp-jerre-schwartz02_200720a.jpg acerp-jerre-schwartz02_200720b.jpg acerp-jerre-schwartz02_200720c.jpg acerp-jerre-schwartz02_200720d.jpg acerp-jerre-schwartz02_200720e.jpg

OK, the pot is "V-shaped", but I'll keep the tree in a wind-free area.

2. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

It is a shame that the leaves perished but I think it should produce new ones, if it was dry for only a couple of days. I do hope so because it looks like a lovely shaped tree. I think Jerre Shwartz is one that doesn’t get enough recognition. I love mine!

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I agree with Luke 100% that Jerre Shwartz is under rated and tbh I think all the witches brooms are.
    Good luck Alain with yours. 'Good thread' on the process of slip potting.

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Fingers crossed. It should be fine if the friend that will water it in the next few days is up to the job. The reward being "Pinault des Charentes" and tomatoes from the garden, I don't worry... ^_^

5. Acerholic

@AlainK, ahh that's always a concern when we leave watering to our children. You never know do you !!!

6. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here's three i did recently bought these for a total of £24 from three separate sellers , the pixie was the worst of the bunch lying on it's side in a well known store just before the lock down came in, half out of the pot with the dreaded root net strangling it offered them a tenner for it saying it would probably die soon ok was the reply and home it came , managed to remove the net with a few of the roots still stuck to the net, kept this for reference never had one before it's huge , the root ball just looked poor but teased the roots slightly into a new 20ltr pot with an ericaceous and grit medium and hoped for the best pic of tree today. Next one was a Katsura from a large supermarket chain 10 litre into a 20 litre with the same medium just straight in to the large pot never touched or loosened the roots, pic today it's just gone balistic with the new growth , then finally a red pygmy from 8litre to 10 litre lots of crispy leaves when purchased looked very rough was actually in the reduced to clear section of a well known diy store, coming on great at this present time and again in the same growing medium as the other two.

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  7. Acerholic

@ROEBUK, good evening M, a miserable day weather wise, but that has cheered me up. I love success stories and bargains to boot. "It will probably die soon" !!!! They didn't know who was taking it home, lol