English lavender question

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Lilith, May 13, 2020.

1. Lilith

Lilith Member

I purchased plant from nursery

Before reporting it outside I noticed it drooping severely and had an aphid infestation

I sprayed it with Safer and manually removed as many aphids as possible

I potted it outside despite it still looking bad

Soil may have not been draining well but it wasn't clear

It has never perked up

I have reported it now in a better draining soil ( sand, sea soil, potting mix) in case it was too wet, root ball looked fine to my untrained eye

Should I give up and dispose it? I've read about alfalfa mosaic being the main serious scourge of aphids on lavender. The leaves are not yellow.

Thank you for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @Lilith, from someone in England that has grown English Lavender a lot. I'm afraid IMO yours looks too far gone. They really dont like wet conditions and especially in compost that does not drain well, they thrive in hot dry areas with little watering.
    Don't give up though, because the scent of lavender on a hot Summers day is second to none IMO. If you buy another do not over water and make sure if kept in a pot you raise it slightly off the ground. I have also found that Aphids will damage a sickly plant rather than a healthy one.
    Good luck and put the next one in a sunny position outside.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I can't say for sure why your lavender is wilting but it is unlikely the existing foliage will revive. It could possibly regrow from the roots. If it started looking poorly soon after you purchased it, I suggest you return it to the garden centre and ask for a replacement or your money back because the problems you're having with it could have begun before you brought it home. When and if you buy another lavender, be careful not to overwater. Also, plant in a leaner, well-drained soil - sea soil is not necessary.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Georgia Strait and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Hi @Margot, can I say from someone who has grown English Lavender for many many years that your advice is 'spot on' IMO.

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I’d say that the brand called “Sea Soil” is too much for lavender - that is, if you used the basic garden version of SS

NB - there are (last I looked a few weeks ago) a few diff versions of Sea Soil
    1. For general garden use
    2. For containers
    Etc
    SEA SOIL Products

That said - I specifically purchased the container version of Sea Soil one time, and it was the heaviest water-logged container ever :(

OVERALL - I like Sea Soil because it’s a Vanc Island product making good use of what used to go to the landfill in some communities near farm fishing industry
    ————
    I agree w Margot (above) and go back to your garden centre and get a new plant or credit etc.

Discard this sickly one.

Hot full sun, some water and nourishment, well drained (Think of the Okanagan where there are several lavender farms amidst the vineyards)

6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Another product, very similar to Sea Soil, is available on Vancouver Island - Earthbank Fish Compost - headquartered in Parksville. Everyone I know who has used it is very happy with it and, last I looked, it is cheaper than the Sea Soil brand.
    Home

Georgia Strait likes this.
  7. Lilith

Lilith Member

Thank you so much Acerholic, Margot and Georgia Strait

I used the "container complete" version of brand name Sea Soil which is a local product. I was nervous about it but kept reading that I should mix some compost in so that the plant would have nutrients. Our local garden stores really push this brand of compost in my experience!

I am hesitant to try lavender again as North Vancouver may be too wet for this plant (I am patio gardening, south west facing)
    I will try cutting off the damaged foliage just in case but will take the advice that it is likely too far gone

Thank you again

8. Acerholic

@Lilith , good luck whatever you choose.