Hedges: Emerald cedars

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by skarimka, May 22, 2008.

1. skarimka

skarimka Member

I planted fifteen emerald cedars in the backyard about two weeks ago - they are about 5 feet high so far they are good. I dug holes and put in rich topsoil at base and around the soil that came with each plant but the back yard's soil it looks like Clay, it does not absorb water. When I bought them, they said I have to water everyday the first week, now I have been watering every second day. I'm afraid; they would die, because water can not be drain. What should I do to fix the problem?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You have done what is called "pit planting" and your pits are collecting water. You will have to re-do the planting so that there is the same soil texture throughout in order to correct this. To provide adequate water for the new trees inspect the soil around them and water often enough to keep moist but not wet, based on how the soil looks each time you check rather than watering on pre-determined schedule.

"Use no soil amendments except in very specific conditions of raised or amended beds for plants with very limited root systems. If the existing soil is very poor, remove and replace with good field soil or place at least six inches of good field soil on the surface. However, you should match soil types as backfilling with a good sandy loam in a heavy clay will serve as a collection point for water and the roots will suffocate. Soil amendments in a small planting hole do not assist plant establishment and growth. It is better to use the amendments as a mulch. The only exception is where the entire plant root zone for many years can be amended"

--Whitcomb, Establishment and Maintenance of Landscape Plants (1987 (1991), Lacebark Inc., Stillwater)

http://www.lacebarkinc.com/establish.htm

3. skarimka

skarimka Member

Thanks for your feedback. Since I have planted all trees 2 weeks ago, to minimize the work load, I was wondering if I can dig along the planted trees line (10" distance) and place drainage pipe + sands around it to collect the water. However, I can dig the slope side of tree near to the roots and place sands to guide water to go into the drainage pipe.
    Your thoughts would be appreciated.