Hedges: Emerald Cedar

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Phil, May 23, 2008.

1. Phil

Phil Member

I planted a number of 6 foot Emerald Cedar trees against the east and south sides of our home located in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta approximately 3 weeks ago. We are located in the rocky mountains just on the BC/Alberta border.

I am noticing that the trees are beginning to look a little brown on the tips. I'm giving them plenty of water, and I used a commercial transplanting product.

They were absolutely perfect when I transplaned them, however I'm a little worried.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Phil

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

You may need to give some details on how you planted them (e.g., did you place them into holes in the ground then fill back in with the same soil?)

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Inspect soil both around and inside of rootball for moisture problems. If doing any future planting do not use transplant fertilizer.

"The Bottom Line
    • Vitamin B-1, aka thiamine, does not reduce transplant shock or stimulate new root growth on
    plants outside the laboratory
    • A nitrogen fertilizer is adequate for transplanting landscape plants; avoid use of 'transplant
    fertilizers' that contain phosphate
    • Healthy plants will synthesize their own thiamine supply
    • Healthy soils contain beneficial microbes that synthesize thiamine as well
    • Difficult-to-transplant species may be aided by application of auxin-containing products in
    addition to nitrogen, but read the label and don’t add unnecessary and potentially harmful
    chemicals (this includes organics!)
    • Adequate soil moisture is crucial for new root growth; be sure to irrigate new transplants
    frequently and use mulch to reduce evaporation"

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/Horticultural Myths_files/Myths/Vitamin B1.pdf

4. Phil

Phil Member

Thank you for your response. The approach I took was as follows:
    1. I first dug up upright junipers that had been half-eaten by deer.
    2. Excavated a hole approximately 1.5 times the size of the pot the trees were planted in.
    3. Mixed native soil (approximately 50% with approximately 25% peat moss and 25% commercial composted sheep/steer manure.
    4. Deposited a base of the mixture in the hole, then planted the cedar, backfilling with the mixture identified in 3 above.
    5. Watered thoroughly with water with a transplanter/root booster liquid (made by Wilson) according to product directions.
    6. Trees were fine for approximately 2 weeks, then began showing signs of browning.
    7. It's been about 3 weeks now, and although some areas on each tree are still a brown tinge, they do not appear to be dry or brittle.

Any suggestions? Am I watering too much; too little; or?

Thank you in advance.