Emerald Cedar issue?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Toddk, May 18, 2020.

1. Toddk

Toddk New Member

Hello, I live in British Columbia and have cedars I planted 5 years ago. The shrubs have grown well since planting, over doubling in height since planting and have always seemed healthy. I have noticed that a lot of them now have foliage that is turning a dark brown from the inside out. When lightly touched they fall off even if the tips are still green with new growth.

What is going on? Root rot, mites, over fertilized?

I have 30 other emerald cedars in our backyard that are all green and healthy looking. It is only one section of 20 cedars at have this issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2020
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @Toddk, my neghbour has a similar problem , IMO it is root rot from a very wet Spring that causes a fungus to thrive. There is no cure other than to allow your trees to dry out and only water if the ground is dry. You can check this by seeing how far down you can push a garden fork into the soil near the trees. The easier it goes in then no water needed.
    If it is root rot then the roots will appear black. Your trees can recover if caught early. ie stop watering.

3. Toddk

Toddk New Member

Thank you for the info. I just pulled out all the mulch last night.