Elizabeth's Blossoms are turning brown

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Cathy W, May 4, 2006.

1. Cathy W

Cathy W Member

I have a beautiful Elizabeth magnolia.

This spring, the buds developed large and lush and I was looking forward to gorgeous blooms. However, when they opened this week, the petals are a dark brown and dry.

There are several buds remaining that are yet to open and half of those are brown extending halfway down from the tip. Does anyone know what happened here and why? I could post a picture (if I could figure out how) if that would help.

I live in New England on the coast just north of Boston. We have had an early spring - very warm but with adequate rainfall. There have been no frosts here in over three weeks.

Thanks! Cathy

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not a rare problem with this one out here, a definite drawback in my book. Probably a fungal or bacterial problem, not always the same one in every case. Lilac blight a prime candidate, it affects magnolias anyway. Botrytis has also been mentioned.

3. Cathy W

Cathy W Member

Thanks so much for answering my question. Any thoughts as to how to treat this problem? Would it help to remove the obviously infected/affected blossoms?

When we bought these trees (we have two and both have the same problem) the information we rad indicated that they were not prone to any problems. This has been frustrating and a disappointment, and I would like to treat it now and prevent problems with this same thing next year.

So far, my lilacs seem healthy.

Thanks again,
    Cathy W.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I have seen lime-sulphur dormant spray employed. Do a web search ("magnolia disease", "magnolia cultivation" etc.) and look at books about magnolias and books about plant diseases (try library of a nearby college with a hort. department) for more information.

5. Cathy W

Cathy W Member

THanks much! I'll look that up. When I did a search before posting on this forum, all I could find were references that said magnolias don't have diseases or pests. I really appreciate the help, Cathy W.