Edith Bogue Magnolia

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by valleygardener, Sep 21, 2008.

1. valleygardener

valleygardener Active Member

I planted the evergreen magnolia Edith Bogue two years ago and must move it. It has quite a large root ball and I'd like to know if magnolia's move easily or am I taking a chance that it will not survive?

Many thanks for your help!

Valley

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Should be an OK time. This is not most choice variety so if you lose it be sure to replace with a more interesting one. Foliage and flowers unexceptional, principal value that it is more hardy than usual.

Had one split apart during that wet snow episode awhile back, so it may not be as reliable under such conditions here as more bushy forms such as 'Victoria' and 'St Mary'.

3. valleygardener

valleygardener Active Member

Thank you Ron! I did choose this one for it's hardiness thinking that I could plant it in a more exposed site. If it doesn't make it, I'll take your advise on the other varieties. Thanks again.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

None of them appreciate exposed positions. Here most M. grandiflora would not be bothered by our winter temperatures, a plant like 'Edith Bogue' excites people trying to grow these in much colder areas than ours. I don't remember how far out you are there, if actually in the interior you would definitely want a more hardy one and to locate it in a sheltered position. If you have a sunny wall available you might even consider fanning it out onto that, instead of sticking it out in the wind (and snow). You need a large space for such an espalier, of course - this cultivar is not a dwarf.