ecological importance of skunk cabbage

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Unregistered, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Calling all naturalists or diligent researchers,

Is there anyone who could provide me with some information about the ecological role of skunk cabbage besides providing food for bears in an emergency? I need to know, because I'm working on a creek restoration proposal, and I've run into a groundskeeper whose opinion it is that skunk cabbage is generally a "trashy" plant. His argument is that it stinks and will take over.

Personally, I think skunk cabbage is a beautiful plant - a harbinger of spring, the first sign that winter is ending. Already I can see skunk cabbage poking out of the marshy ground in nearby parks. Anyway, I need some more logical grounds to refute his ideas - and providing food for bears won't quite cut it. Not many bears in the area.

So I need some ecological reasons why to permit the skunk cabbage to thrive, other than the lovely perfume that permeates everything when it's flowering. Can anybody help?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner, but here are four reasons to grow it. 1-It has some of the largest leaves of any native North American plant. 2-It is attractive to many insects. 3-It has a history of traditional use by humans. 4-It is one of he first wild plants to bloom in spring. Read Profile of the Western Skunk Cabbage from the Friends of the Hylebos Wetlands.

I agree that the that the flowers are beautiful. The large leaves and flower spikes should be enough reason to grow it in a natural restoration project. The smell is not really that offensive and if you believe this, may have benefits.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The inflorescences are fragrant. It's the foliage that smells.