Eastern Red Cedar problem

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by scottk, Mar 22, 2006.

1. scottk

scottk Member

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this.

I just bought a house that has a large eastern red cedar tree in the back yard (which I understand is not really a cedar?), or at least I am assuming that is what type of tree it is. I will take some pictures as soon as possible.

The problem is, it has a brownish tint to it. From what I've read, it is normal for them to turn a little brown in the winter, but winter is pretty much over here, and most of the other trees of its type are completely green now. When you look at the tree, the part that is brown is right at the tips, and it actually looks almost like seeds or something growing. I've read about cedar-apple rust, but I don't think there are any apple type trees around, and I'm hoping thats not what it is.

As I said, I will post some pictures as soon as possible.

2. scottk

scottk Member

For now, I search google images for a picture.

The tree looks more like this (except bigger, it is probably twice as tall as my one story house), which interestingly enough, is sort of brownish in this picture.
    [​IMG]

The tree does not look like this, which is mostly what I found when searching for "eastern red cedar".
    [​IMG]

3. scottk

scottk Member

Here are some pictures of my tree. It is now obvious that the problem is cedar-apple rust, as you can see the orange ball things.

However, there are also other areas of branches, etc. that have the orange stuff on them.

Attached Files: