Dying Yucca Plant PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jlao, May 12, 2021.

1. jlao

jlao New Member

Hello All,

With the lockdowns, our office Yucca plant took an absolute beating. It didn't get much if any water for a couple months. The office seems to be divided on if it is dead or not, but I have taken it upon myself to try and save it(hopefully).

There is still a couple of green leaves towards the ends of the limbs but 98% of the leaves are dead. The room system looks okay and the trunk is still sturdy. I trimmed off a couple of the dead leaves to hopefully help a bit but I am out of ideas. Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks pretty dead to me -- if there is any chance of reviving it, it will have to be done with a lot of care. All of the dead leaves are no longer helping move water through the plant, and likely there has been significant root death -- so overwatering now is just going to leave you with wet soil. I would be diligent about only giving it a small amount of water and checking frequently if the soil is nearly dry. Once dry, a small amount of water again. If it is isn't uptaking any water, that should be evident soon enough.

3. Phyllostachys

Phyllostachys Member

Unfortunately it is dead. The vascular structures inside the trunk have shrivelled and died. There is no bringing it back.

Thankfully this type of Yucca is cheap to buy and easy to find in most big box stores.