Dying "corn" plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by DeTazman, Jun 15, 2008.

1. DeTazman

DeTazman Member

I think this might be a Dracaena Fragrans "Massangeana" aka "corn plant", but I'm not sure. I've had this plant for 5 years now, but only started caring about it's name because, as you can see by the "before" and "after" pictures, it's not doing so well now.

Here's a little history that might explain why:
    - it was leaning more and more over the years, so we decided to re-pot it
    - in the process, we had it outside for less than a week, in direct sunlight for the mornings only
    - it is now indoors, in "all purpose indoor/outdoor" soil
    - we may have overwatered it a bit at first

It looks like only the top leaves might be sunburnt. Any help in reviving this favourite of mine would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

• 0.JPG
      0.JPG
      File size:
      123.8 KB
      Views:
    • 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      130.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      121.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      108.3 KB
      Views:
    • MyPalmB4.JPG
      MyPalmB4.JPG
      File size:
      75.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

You should have never put it outside for any length of time.

Trim off the dead portions and it might grow out of it with new leaves eventually.

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Yep, your right, it's a Dracaena Fragrans 'Massangeana' common name, corn plant.

When houseplants suddenly go from indoors to outdoor, more than likely the leaves will burn to a crisp quick if it gets direct sun, morning or otherwise.
    Cut off all the burned dry leaves and put it back inside where it was growing before, If it's getting good bright indirect light and is turned some once a week, that should keep it from leaning.
    Make sure the soil is well draining as well, just treat as before. It should recover in time.
    I would not fertilize it at this time.

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I agree with Bluewing, just sunburn from being outside...

Ed

5. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Since when is the common name for Dracaena fragrans and its cultivars "Corn Plant"?

Shame on the horticultural trade for perpetuating the wrong names for plants.

What westerners call "corn" is actually maize, Zea mays. Dracaena are better called "Dragon Trees".

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2008
  6. honoryourlife

honoryourlife Member

I recently aquired the same plant from walmart and it was sold to me as a "Mass Cane", thanks for clearing up the name Bluewing.

7. Bluewing

It's commonly called a corn plant because the leaves resemble, in it's own way, a REAL corn plant.
    That's how it goes. When a plant resembles something, like for instance a 'Tacca chantrieri' or, commonly called a bat plant because the flowers resemble bats. Many people will go by the common name they don't know the scientific name, common names can sell more plants, and some people just can't pronounce the real name, and, it's just plain ole easier to remember.
    The only dracaena I know that's commonly called a dragon tree is, (Dracaena marginata)

8. honoryourlife

honoryourlife Member

Another one of the plants I recently obtained.

9. DeTazman

DeTazman Member

It's been just over 2 months since I started this thread and I'm happy to say that my plant has been saved. Even after trimming off all the dead portions, it took a few weeks before I saw improvements - and even then, some of the leaves were still dying. But now, it's looking much greener & healthier! Special thanks goes out to Cereusly Steve, Bluewing & edleigh7!

10. Bluewing

DeTazman,

It's good to hear your plant has improved! Nothing better then a sick plant getting healthy and green again:)

11. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Also good to hear, and keep up the good work

Ed

12. LIONHEART0287

LIONHEART0287 Member

hello! i have the same problem...
    I have a corn plant and it looks miserable, but I am hopeful that I can still revive it…
    As you can imagine we have to canes, a taller one which have few leaves and a smaller one that has none…
    The taller one has leaves/ shoots near the end of cane from the previous cutting, and another shoot located halfway of its length.

I am planning to split the taller plant into 2, just above the leaves in the middle, so as to make two new separate plants.

But I am scared that instead of reviving the plant, I might totally destroy it. Is my idea possible?

if you can see, i have to cut the cut the leaves so much because of the severe browning of the leaves..it really looks bad...

Thanks for your time reading my post and hope to hear from you.

13. LIONHEART0287

LIONHEART0287 Member

Some photos of my corn plant... help please.. thanks

CORN PLANT.JPG

corn plant3.jpg

corn plant4.jpg