dwarf spruce pests

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by schwine, May 30, 2005.

1. schwine

schwine Member

I am interested in learning about pests and diseases that are common to the Alberta Dwarf Spruce Tree. Thanks for any tips or web page links.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

in these parts red spider mite and aphids / adelgids are fairly common issues.

3. schwine

schwine Member

Thanks for the information. I am considering buying a pair of these trees to landscape the front of a rental building. I understand that they grow to a maximum height and diameter of eight feet over 10-15 years, but I wanted to confirm this.

The good part about this limitation is that the dwarf spruce trees may not overtake much of the front lawn and kill the grass with an extensive root system as can happen with much taller spruce trees in my type of landscape setting.

It is also advised to water dwarf spruce trees regularly for the first year after planting. How would "regularly" be defined in Edmonton, Alberta? Once a week? Or is once a month good enough.

Thanks again for any tips and advice.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

most spruce are suited to a dryish climate and will tolerate reasonable cold. if you consult any gardeninging tome that lists plants and their wants or needs, or, search for the plant's name in google you will find the cultural needs for most anything.