Dwarf Japanese Maple: Diseased?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Bernice, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Bernice

Bernice Member

I purchased a dwarf Japanese Maple tundefinedree four years ago. This spring, after a very harsh winter, the top did not sprout any leaves. The bottom, however, is very brilliant and looks healthy. I did notice spider webs on the top of the tree, which my husband sprayed. Do I prune off what appears to be dead branches this fall? Or, do I wait until spring to see what happens?

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The best time to remove dead wood is immediately. Leaving it only encourages decay, disesase and little pests like the spiders?? your husband delt with. Any branches not having shown growth by now are very likely/certainly dead. I recommend removing dead wood now by pruning out small sections and cautiously approach the healthy tree, leaving a very small stub of dead wood above it-do not open a fresh wound. If you notice any parts that appear to be living, simply leave them until spring and see what happens.

You might consider protecting it from the harsh cold in future, as it will likely die back again.
    Michael

3. Bernice

Bernice Member

Thanks, I appreciate your response.

Bernice