Identification: Dwarf Alberta Spruce- witches Broom?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by sassi02, Aug 8, 2013.

1. sassi02

sassi02 Member

My son just moved to a property with several Alberta Spruce, guessing trees are 20+yrs old. Most are in great shape and then there is this one- see pics. I am guessing this growth is a witches broom... it looks like a branch from a Blue Spruce. Yes, I did check to confirm it is from the Alberta Spruce trunk.

This growth is rather obvious and more that a few years old, so not sure why previous owners left it, rather than prune out when small and easier to deal with. (other than the people were older- retired)

some questions...
    Is this common with Alberta Spruce?
    Should I be checking for brooms on all of the Alberta Spruces?
    Is there any botanical value or interest in a witches broom like this? This tree is located in Hamilton Ont - 15min from the Royal Botanical Gardens.

I am planning on pruning out,- maybe in stages, next spring, as it will leave a gaping hole, for several years. what else can be done with it?

Thanks,

Heather

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It could well be a grafted tree and the abnormal growth may be a sprout from the rootstock. Check to see if the branch is attached to the trunk low down; if so it is likely coming from below the graft point. If that is not the case then maybe some type of reversion?

I have seen similar growths on neglected, previous owner planted, dwarf conifers in a non-gardening friend's garden but have not had the opportunity to investigate them in greater detail. Again, the two potential causes I could come up with were rootstock sprouts or reversions.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Conica' frequently reverts to the typical plant in the manner shown here. All you have to do is cut the normal, non-dwarf growth out as it appears.

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Can't understand why you want to cut it. At least you have something out of ordinary. Many people would be very happy to have something like this.

5. Ron B

'Conica' is a cultivated variety of Alberta spruce. When it throws branches like this - as it rather often does - it is returning to regular Alberta spruce. If left such growths will eventually replace the original planting of 'Conica', thereby making the planting of the variant ('Conica') pointless.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes; it is bearing cones, which the original dwarf (being a juvenile clone) does not.

Personally, I'd keep it, as the 'adult' growth is more interesting than the dwarf.

But 'Conica' is a very cheap, very easily available cultivar. Normal-type Alberta Spruce is not; it is very hard to find. So if you want one (and it's a very nice tree), the only realistic option is to buy the dwarf cultivar and hope it reverts quickly ;-)

7. Ron B

Judging from its size specimen shown has been in place for many years, well beyond the small and cheap stage. Don't know about Ontario but here the reversions often quickly go bald inside - as do many other spruces - due probably to spruce aphids, so that a more decorative specimen than that produced by the cultivar is hardly the outcome. Beyond that it is a matter of personal preference, with the cultivar being so prevalent because it's habit appeals to many.