'Dud buds'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by debviolet, May 4, 2021.

1. debviolet

debviolet Active Member 10 Years

Hi, JM lovers!

Wondering whether there is some way to encourage trees with branches that bud and then don't leaf out.

I live in western Massachusetts and the last five years have been tough on my maples, what with climate volatility.

Photos below:

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening, there is no magic formula for late to leaf out maples, but do consider if you have had a very cold Spring, or a very dry Spring. This can affect buds not leafing out. A good watering regime during all seasons is essential, it is not just a Summer issue. Your trees need water at all times for good bud development..
    What sort of Springs are you having? If they are anything like we are having over here, ie coldest in 60 years, then some of your maples will hold back well into May.
    I don't want to talk about Verticulum at this stage, but this can never be ruled out when maples don't leaf out.
    So IMO, a little more time is needed, to see how they fare.

3. debviolet

debviolet Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for your reply!
    Watering has gotten trickier and trickier here...after a good snow pack spring melt this winter earlier, late March, and April were drier than usual. That may be the answer to the budding issue.
    Winter of 2019-2020, rained here all winter, which never happens, and 2 of my trees drowned apparently: one had been here over 20 years and drainage had not been an issue previously...

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning, this has been a problem everywhere and maples like a moist soil but not sitting in water. It is quite a fine balance. If you can, give them a drink every few days if it is still dry where you are; that will help.
    Have a look at this thread I started covering watering in March.

Give your Maples a drink in March