British Columbia: Dublin Bay Rose Mildew

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by daveyd, Jun 17, 2012.

1. daveyd

daveyd Member

I chose to plant a Dublin Bay Rose based on conversations that it was very disease resistant in our cool & damp Pacific Northwest (Surrey). It is now second year, has grown vigorously up to about 6 feet in a southeast facing corner of open trellis and solid fence. There was small amount of mildew last year (first year planted).
    I have been out of town for two weeks, and return to a plant fully enveloped in mildew. There are a dozen blooms in full beauty, new buds and stems are covered in mildew, a few lower leaves are yellow with black spotting, most of the leaves have some amount of mildew.
    I am not one to "baby" a plant along in my yard. Should I just give up on this one? Or is this just an extreme June? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Are the flowers true-to-type? Maybe you were sold the wrong, disease-susceptible variety.

3. daveyd

daveyd Member

I am quite in-expert. "True-to-type" sounds ominous, how on earth do I type my rose?
    The blooms are very full, open to about 75mm + diam, full and deep red, very minor scent. Thanks for the reply, Ron B... can you advise me where I could look for "typing" information?