drywall as bamboo rizome barrier!?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by jim, Jan 23, 2005.

1. jim

jim Member

hi all
    i have an odd idea
    i wish to put some bamboo in my yard and have hole mess of used drywall from reno's
    what are your opinions of the effectivness of dry wall as runner barrier and the effect on the surrounding soil

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have never used drywall. I use a product called Deep Root, they have a bamboo barrier, depths of 18, 24 and 36 inch I think and it comes on a running roll, you buy it by the foot for about $2 a foot. Pacific Arborist supply is where I go for mine. They are located in North Van just off the second narrows bridge.

3. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi

It will turn to mush and break down within 1 to 2 years.

At dumps and disposal yards drywall is usually kept sperate from the rest of the stuff.

ragards Doug

4. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

drywall as barrier

Use of drywall is definitely not a good idea, because it contains sulphuric acid which would reduce the ph of the soil, leach into the surrounding soil and pollute the groundwater.
    One of the best ways to contain bamboo is to maintain the moisture and fertility of the soil where it is planted, and to keep the area beyond dry. This will encourage the bamboo to stay put and not travel.
    Hope this helps.

5. jim

jim Member

drywall

Thanks for the response folks.
    I guess I was trying to kill two birds with one stone, get rid of my reno waste without hauling it to the dump (and then paying)and creating a privacy screen in my garden.
    The mush problem might be taken care off by wraping the drywll in leftover vapour barrier but the sulphuric acid issue has put me off the whole idea anyway!
    While on the subject of trying to do things on the cheap, if anyone out there has some bamboo plants they want gotten rid of in the Vancouver area please feel free to let me know and I will happily come by with my spade.
    many thanks jim