Downtown

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Anne Carten, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

Nice curve of Akebono along the seawall at Coal Harbor this morning. Many people out taking photos by them!
    Akebono_coalharbour broughton_llennie_20220324_120716.jpg Akebono_coalharbour broughton_llennie_20220324_120719.jpg Akebono_coalharbour broughton_llennie_20220324_120730.jpg Akebono_coalharbour broughton_llennie_20220324_120758.jpg

yaletowner, Acerholic and Willard like this.
  2. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, but am thinking this is an Accolade? This tree is in the little triangle at Devonian park along the bike path. I had to watch for all the bikes as I was taking the pics. It seems to be a multi petal, lovely blush pink to the back of the petals. confirmation or correction?? thx Lisa
    Accolade?_devonian park denman_llennie_20220324_121312.jpg Accolade?_devonian park denman_llennie_20220324_121328.jpg Accolade?_devonian park denman_llennie_20220324_121410.jpg Accolade?_devonian park denman_llennie_20220324_121426.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Yes, 'Accolade'. I don't think it's been posted since 2011, when I posted it at Downtown, and I'm [not really] surprised that I never put it on the map.

4. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

thx for I'd. L

5. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member 10 Years

These seawall Akebono are starting to blossom now. You can walk from David Lam Park east along the seawall past them and continue to Coopers Park. I just added a photo of those Akebono from above on the Cambie Bridge to an earlier post. Then heading north under Cambie Bridge walk west along Pacific Blvd to Helmcken Park to view the Shirotae, Akebono and Rancho there. I just updated my previous post on Helmcken Park to show them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    wcutler, Acerholic and Lisa L like this.
  6. yaletowner

Blooming nicely between rainstorms

Acerholic likes this.
  7. jtremblay

jtremblay Active Member

Akebono fully bloomed at Georgia and Denman. Nice reflective pool.

20220327_Akebono_GeorgiaDenman_Tremblay_IMG_5903.jpg 20220327_Akebono_GeorgiaDenman_Tremblay_IMG_5899.jpg 20220327_Akebono_GeorgiaDenman_Tremblay_IMG_5951.jpg

Acerholic, wcutler and yaletowner like this.
  8. jtremblay

jtremblay Active Member

Akebono with fountain outside a residence on Bayshore Drive. Fully Bloomed.

20220327_Akebono_BayshoreDrive_Tremblay_IMG_5877.jpg

Acerholic and yaletowner like this.
  9. jtremblay

jtremblay Active Member

Akebono outside Waterfront Skytrain Station are fully bloomed but I couldn't get good pics because of low light.

20220327_Akebono_DowntownWaterfront station_Tremblay_IMG_6131.jpg 20220327_Akebono_DowntownWaterfront_Tremblay_IMG_6062.jpg

yaletowner likes this.
  10. jtremblay

jtremblay Active Member

Shirotae are starting to bloom outside Westin Bayshore Hotel. Nice green Leaves.

20220327_Shirotae_WestinBayHotel_Tremblay_IMG_5872.jpg 20220327_Shirotae_WestinBayHotel_Tremblay_IMG_5868.jpg 20220327_Shirotae_WestinBayHotel_Tremblay_IMG_5869.jpg 20220327_Shirotae_WestinBayHotel_Tremblay_IMG_5870.jpg 20220327_Shirotae_WestinBayHotel_Tremblay_IMG_5871.jpg

Attached Files:

Acerholic, wcutler and yaletowner like this.
  11. yaletowner

The Akebono in the Lot 19 parklet (Hornby & W Hastings) are ready for the first 2022 Cherry Blossom Festival event this Friday at noon! Already popular with many photographers.

Acerholic likes this.
  12. yaletowner

Quite a nice Shirotae grove inside the private courtyard of the Concordia II strata that can be seen in the pedestrian path besides the Roundhouse Community Centre. Also see the update to the Helmcken Park Shirotae.

Acerholic likes this.
  13. yaletowner

These trees are a bit past peak bloom but still quite nice.

Attached Files:

14. yaletowner

These Akebono by Lupo and Jardines are now past peak bloom with much green leaf in evidence. Those over in David Lam Park and seawall look very nice now though.

15. yaletowner

Rancho blossoms emerging outside Choices Market in Yaletown. Beatty Mews Kanzan still budding. Shirotae down the street in Helmcken Park are looking quite stunning today too but have already lots of photos of them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  16. wcutler

I think these are 'Rancho', looking like single blossoms, no?

17. yaletowner

Yes, they are exactly like the Rancho down the street but saw that these are where the Pink Perfection used to be and was corrected previously that they were Kanzan which are on the other side of the street and not blossoming yet.

18. wcutler

I see the posting you're talking about, at Downtown.
    Either there are 'Rancho' and 'Kanzan' there, and I missed that before, or you need to show a blossom photo that shows more petals on the flowers to convince me that this one is 'Kanzan'.
    We can do this.

19. yaletowner

The tree shape and blossom timing are very Rancho and they seem to be planted at about the same time as those nearby in Helmcken Park. The blossoms were too high for me to see well but they definitely do not look Kanzen. I think I will just relabel the photos as Rancho.

20. wcutler

Starting from Richards, they are 'Rancho', 'Rancho', 'Kanzan', and 'Rancho'.
    Downtown
    The 'Kanzan' hasn't opened you, but seems to be in poor shape. Better-looking 'Kanzan' are on the north side of the street.

21. wcutler

There are 100 'Akebono' donated by Dr. David Lam in David Lam Park, planted in 2010. The first posting about them was in 2012, at Downtown, and the trees in the same year are shown at: Downtown.
    Twelve years later, they are creating enough of an impression to hold The Big Picnic to kick off the VCBF. I missed seeing @yaletowner, but I heard he was there.
    Akebono_DavidLamPark-BigPicnic_Cutler_20220402_143037.jpg Akebono_DavidLamPark-BigPicnic_Cutler_20220402_143042.jpg Akebono_DavidLamPark-BigPicnic_Cutler_20220402_143105.jpg Akebono_DavidLamPark-BigPicnic_Cutler_20220402_143928.jpg Akebono_DavidLamPark-BigPicnic_Cutler_20220402_144003.jpg

jtremblay, Willard and Acerholic like this.
  22. yaletowner

Fun event at Lot 19 last friday for first event of 2022 Cherry Blossom Festival - Taiko drum group, haiku readings, movement exercise session - and the Akebono blossoms looked quite nice

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2022
    jtremblay, Willard and Acerholic like this.
  23. yaletowner

Great event last saturday at David Lam Park for the 2022 Cherry Blossom Festival Big Picnic. The Akebono were in full blossom and the breeze made for nice gusts of petals for the crowds to enjoy. Douglas Justice and Egan Davis shared their knowledge about the Akebono and other plants in the park. A well done welcoming ceremony by the three indigenous groups who generously share their traditional tertitory. Musical entertainment, assorted booths for children and adults, transit bus display and more. There was a ceremony for the planting of a somei yoshino tree that could be a pollinator for the 100 Akebono in the park.

Attached Files:

jtremblay and Willard like this.
  24. yaletowner

Here is the dedication ceremony for the first Somei Yoshino tree in David Lam Park at the Big Picnic on Saturday. It is surrounded by 100 Akebono and according to Egan Davis, the pollen from this tree could cause some of the Akebono to produce a bit of fruit. The birds will certainly enjoy them. Eduardo Ottoni did quite a masterful job in organizing this ceremony as well as other parts of the production.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    Willard likes this.
  25. yaletowner

Ukon here are now back in bloom!

Attached Files:

Acerholic and Willard like this.