Downtown

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Anne Carten, Mar 2, 2008.

1. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member

I could not see anything left from these trees EXCEPT deep inside the complex there are one or two big trees in full leaf (no blossoms) that are completely sealed off to the public so I am not sure what they are. There are new plantings on site of maple trees and on the street of elm trees. It would be completely amazing if Shirofugen survived the extensive renovation happening at that complex. Nothing to see here this year anyway.

2. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member

The north plaza renovation is now complete and the Kanzan are no longer there. Nice memories.

3. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member

These two old Shirotae are putting on quite the show in the warm sun today. A few blossoms have fallen.

Attached Files:

4. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member

This might be the first photo of the Kanzan on the south side of Seabreeze Walk in the late afternoon shade but they have been there since the Akebono on the north side which get more of the attention as they are the early bloomers.

Attached Files:

5. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member

On Drake & Marinaside there is a couple of Kanzan in blossom and in a private strata courtyard across from Elsie Roy Elementary, a Shirotae is tossing off its blossoms.

Attached Files:

6. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member

The Kanzan by the memorial is still there bordering on the construction fencing but further east on Keefer, there are more Kanzan in bloom.

Attached Files:

7. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member

The big Kanzan that graced the northwest corner of the VAG north plaza (south east corner of Hornby & W Georgia) is now gone as are the plum trees. Watermain replacement project victim.

Attached Files:

8. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member

While many of the cherry trees around the perimeter of this site have been replaced by maple and elm trees, in the tower's central courtyard by the lane shared with the Holy Rosary Cathedral, five Shiro-fugen have been preserved and in full blossom now. Thanks to Wendy for persisting in guiding me to this secret shady spot just across from the Dunsmuir separated bike path at Richards where the last of this type can be seen in the DTBIA. The biggest tree is the centrepiece for depression into which nice flowers descend into it's pit. Note how much changes within a week from a single blossom less than a week ago.

9. wcutler

wcutler Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

'Shogetsu' time! On April 2, I posted photos of a lovely 'Akebono' planting at 1680 Bayshore Drive. Two days ago, I noticed some white blossoms way in the back of those trees - you can just see them in the background of the first photo of the 'Akebono'. That area is all gated off, but I got close enough along the side to tell that there are at least several nice-looking 'Shogetsu' back there.
    20200423_1680BayshoreDr_Shogetsu_Cutler_2153737.jpg 20200423_1680BayshoreDr_Shogetsu_Cutler_153522.jpg

Of the original four trees near the Bayshore Hotel driveway entrance, one is totally gone and one is totally dead. One is not in great shape, but they are putting on a good show. It's easy enough to imagine in the blossom photo how this cultivar got its name meaning moonlight through pine trees.
    20200423_BayshoreHotel_Shogetsu_Cutler_154041.jpg 20200423_BayshoreHotel_Shogetsu_Cutler_154116.jpg

These photos are another group of 'Shogetsu' along the east side of the building, the first three to the left of the path to the East side door, and the last two are photos I try to take every year of a very fragile-looking duo to the right of the path.
    20200423_BayshoreHotel_Shogetsu_Cutler_154738.jpg 20200423_BayshoreHotel_Shogetsu_Cutler_154321.jpg 20200423_BayshoreHotel_Shogetsu_Cutler_154331.jpg 20200423_BayshoreHotel_Shogetsu_Cutler_154346.jpg 20200423_BayshoreHotel_Shogetsu_Cutler_154503.jpg 20200423_BayshoreHotel_Shogetsu_Cutler_154611.jpg