dormant spraying

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by doodah, Sep 21, 2007.

1. doodah

doodah Member

I am going south for the winter, leaving at the end of November and returning mid-March...

can I apply dormant spray, etc. to my fruit trees before I leave or would it be best to apply upon my return?

I live on an island in the lower mainland...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  2. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

Doodah

apply the dormant spray only to the plants that have gone dormant. if the trees you want to spray have leaves on them before you leave then don't spray them. it will do more damage than good.

also if you have a cold snap with a lot of frost in november don't spray as it will also be deliterious

3. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Are you using the Dormant Oil/Lime Sulpher kits?

Commonly the dormant oil (Mineral Oil) is used as an insecticide on fruit trees around our area for smothering eggs of the Bruce span Worm. Anytime time after the first of November would be fine for this treatment. Waiting till after mid March, some eggs may have hatched already (especially if it is warm) and other eggs may be developing and harder to suffocate with the oil.

The Lime Sulphur is usually used as a fungicide. Some over wintering diseases or fungus such as Anthracnose can have controls applied anytime during dormancy. But I do believe more common problems like Scab, tip and bud blights, Pear Trellis and other Rusts are more effectively controlled with Lime Sulpher around bud break (mid March).

All I am saying is if you are targeting a specific problem, then timing is important, and splitting up the dormant spray kits can be a good idea. If you are just spraying for the sake of preventative plant health care, then I would shoot for the end of November. Leaving less chance for damaging any early spring growth, beneficial insects, or Bees.

Thats only my opinion, Regards Jim.