Donkeys tail

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Majentas, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Majentas

Majentas Active Member

Any tips on how to propogate a Burro's Tail cutting?? I have a 3 inch piece. Should I put it in water? I've was told to put it into some earth. Should I water the earth or leave it alone?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  2. Majentas

Majentas Active Member

Burro's Tail propogation

I've just received a 3 inch piece of Burro's Tail. It still has a bit of root attached to it. I've read around and some say to put the piece and the fallen leaves in dirt. Some also say to let it all dry out for about a week, then plant it and give it a good watering. Should I let the little bit of root I have, dry out??

3. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Re: Burro's Tail propogation

If the cut doesn't dry our and "scab" over rot will start and you will loose your plant. Unlike other plants, the major problem with cacti and succulent cuttings is rot not wilting. Let it dry out before planting and don't be in any hurry to water it. It's a succulent after all, right? If you have loose leaves too, then you can just set them out and watch for roots to form. There is no point in watering them before there are roots, they will just rot up.

Good luck
    M.

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Since it's a succulent, let the cutting dry out for at least one or two days and insert into moist soil. Water when the top is dry.

Newt

5. biggam

biggam Active Member

If you have any leaves that you break off the base or otherwise fall off, you can place them on the surface and they may eventually root. These take a long time to grow into a new plant, so it is good you have a stem cutting. If you think it's long enough, you can cut it into 2 or 3 pieces so you'll have more than a single-stemmed plant. You may stick it without having to let it dry out. Put into a well-drained potting mix (you can emend with sand) and keep it lightly moist for at least a few weeks. After it's rooted, you can treat it like other succulents, letting the soil dry between waterings. Sedum morganianum, I believe is the scientific name.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(merged threads)