Identification: does anyone know what this plant is?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kjgkat, Aug 5, 2006.

1. kjgkat

kjgkat Member

I've had this plant (on the left) for a couple years, it never flowers, however is growing beautifully.
    I just wonder if anyone knows what it is called, and how to care for it.

Also, my zebra plant on the right is experiencing leaf drop, i suppect the air conditioning may be the cuplret, but I'm not ready to do without air. I have moved it to the bathroom so it will have more humidity, but it still is dropping leaves. Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help,
    Kathy

Attached Files:

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

that one is a Philodendron Xanadu...
    it says it flowers but unsightly .. so i wouldnt worry about it at all.. :)

here is a lil infor on your Zebra Plant ..

Cultural information: "Zebra plants" are not really difficult to grow. Since it is a flowering plant... it will need bright light from an East, South or West window. Check for water frequently. These plants can grow quickly during the spring and summer... so feed monthly. During the winter feed bi-monthly. As the plant ages it can loose it's lower leaves. To keep a full appearance... pinch the plant back when it becomes leggy. The cutting can be rooted in a container of water.

Marn

3. kjgkat

kjgkat Member

Thanks!!!!

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

your welcome .. hope the info helps ya :)

Marn

5. MDNemec

MDNemec Member

I currently have a very similar plant I purchased from a nursery. The tag on the plant had it labled as Philodendron selloum. Regardless of whether you have selloum or xanadu, they look very similar and I'm sure the care is close to the same.

This brings me to my next question! You've had yours many years and it looks much better than mine. How often do you water? How much sun does it get per day? Do you fertilize?

Any help would be apprecitated!

6. kjgkat

kjgkat Member

I've had it for a little more than 2 1/2 years. I can't remember exactly how long, but I moved around that time and I know I moved it. I have seperated it already, so I have another just not quite as big.
    I keep this one sitting in a bright room, not in the direct light. However the offspring is sitting in a west window right under an air conditioner vent. So, it seems neither the heat from the window or the draft from the air has harmed it.
    I usually water once a week and I usually put a small amount of miracle grow in the water each time. Maybe once a month I water without miracle grow. The dirt is usually dry on top when I water, but none of the leaves ever wilt.
    He just keeps growing and growing. It seems he's very happy. It's roots are coming out of the pot and stretching all around. I'm wondering if I need to put in something bigger.
    Hope this info helps you.
    Kathy