Does Acer palmatum 'Koto ito Komachi' really exist?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Mapleman, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Mapleman

Mapleman Member Maple Society

Does Acer palmatum 'Koto ito komachi really exist?

I have purchase this plant from respected nurseries in Oregon, Pennsylvania and New Jersey only to get the same plant that is identical to 'Koto no ito'. Some years ago I was speaking with Harold Johnson, who gave me cuttings from his plant that he recieved as scion wood from Vertrees and his thought was that the orginal plant was slow growing due to culture and not a separate cultivar.

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Esveld thinks it does, they list both Koto ito komachi and Koto no ito. I note a difference in the pricing of the two plants at least. :) There is no picture available for Koto ito komachi. You might inquire what differences they observe, if any, between the two plants.

Or perhaps the plants you received will show different aspects over the long term. Of course even though Esveld sells them both that doesn't rule out that the plant is identical...

-E

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I looked it up in Maples of the World, (listed as Kotoito komachi, which I guess is illegitimate as the 3-worded name is currently listed on the site). They mention that the plant is a seedling selection, so at least clonally speaking it is not identical to Koto no ito.

Also there is a pretty pic in Vertrees. But I suspect you knew all of this book stuff, anyway...

-E

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Vertrees/Gregory (JAPANESE MAPLES) does mention the original, extremely dwarf seedling picked up a little steam (5-6(15) cm. per year) when grafted. But the leaves of 'Koto ito komachi' and 'Koto-no-ito' may not be the same, at a glance JAPANESE MAPLES seems to have rather different descriptions for each, including the statement that "New leaves [of 'Koto-no-ito'] unfold with crimson tones". If that is a consistent characteristic and the other doesn't ever have it that could be an easy way to separate them right off.

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have bought the Koto ito komachi in 2006 from a reliable European grower (not ESVELD). I have it in a pot near the older Koto no ito so I can observe them and try to answer the question of Mapleman ;o)).
    Just for information, here are two pics of my Koto ito komachi taken in April.

Gomero

Attached Files:

6. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have both and they are different. Koto ito Komachi has exceedingly hair-like foliage, thinner even than the mature Koto no Ito. My Koto no Ito is in the ground, and is about 6' tall now at perhaps 9 years old. Koto no Ito is in a container and maybe 10" tall and about 5 years old. They look different in leaf, but the fall color is similar. Although I have not concentrated on the timing, my memory is that the timing of leaf out and fall coloration is a little different as well, although both color late in the fall here in NY. Both are very beautiful trees.

7. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

There is a new-ish thread of "Koto Ito Komachi" (google it) with some pretty good pictures, and I think that I can say that that Koto No Ito and Koto Ito Komachi are actually separate cultivars, as jacquot says. Check it out. David

8. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

The guy that posted the pictures said he knew a guy, whose father-in-law and him were bot enthusiasts, and the father-in-law got wood from Vertrees, whom he knew. To make a long story short, the guy's father-in-law died, and he gave the specimen of 'Koto Ito Komachi' to his son-in-law, who later gave it to him, because it was doing bad. He then grafted and successfully propagated it, and he put the pics. of the ones that he grafted on the thread.

To clear things up, Vertrees definitely introduced a new variety, as this man's plants are clearly showing differences between Koto No Ito and Koto Ito Komachi. David

9. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Re: Koto ito komachi

I have a 2 year "seedling" of 1 of my Koto no ito's that has come in with red leaves
    this winter/spring - quite red, not just some blush of red. The mother plant is green
    and has never shown any red. A sister seedling picked & planted the same day from
    the same mother plant is solid green with no red. Another difference is that the "red"
    seedling has more curved leaves than the mother or sister and does not have the
    occasional larger, thicker, more-linearlobum-like leaves that all 3 of my mature K no ito
    plants have and which the sister seedling also has. Could this red seedling be a K ito
    komachi genetic reversion or such? Any thoughts? Thank you.

10. hayrideman

hayrideman Member

These are progressive photos taken over the last several weeks of a 3 year old koto ito komachi that was grafted from the tree in the 4th photo.

Enjoy, HAY

Attached Files:

11. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Awesome! Do you want to sell any of your grafts, or do you just want to keep them for yourself? (I'd be glad to buy one, if I can!)

These are the ones that you received from the guy that knew the people that have the original Koto Ito Komachi plant?

David

12. hayrideman

hayrideman Member

Mapleman,

The picture is of my mother tree that I acquired as the story goes.
    All of the Kik's that Frank and I have are linked to this tree. As far as what I would have available depends on how they wintered over. I have trees that will be 3 and 5 years old. My preference is for this tree to remain among collectors and not be commercialized.

HAY

Attached Files:

13. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hayrideman,
    That tree looks like it will be beautiful once it leafs out! As for me buying one, I am a collector (I don't have that many varieties) and I like to find the best of the best--I've been looking for the "real" version of KIK for almost 3 years, and I would really like if you could sell me one...as this variety is very rare, the opportunity to purchase one that I know is the real form is VERY appealing. If you can sell me one, could you give me the smallest one that you have? I would like to see it grow up and mature--I love doing that with my other ones!

Thanks very much,
    David