Do you think there will be frost again?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Budja, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Budja

Budja Active Member

I live in Vancouver. Do you think its too early to plant flowers like petunia, geraniums, dahlias, etc? I know the rule of thumb is not to plant before Mother's Day but it seems like the weather will be frost free from here on. Thanks for the advice.

2. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

I don't live in your area, but we have a similar rule here in Oklahoma.
    "Don't plant before Easter"!!

Well, we were looking pretty set for not having to deal with another frost, but about a week before Easter, we had a really cold frost (well, for here it was considered cold!) so, if the "locals" say not to plant before a certain time, they normally have a reason.

Then again, this is Oklahoma, I'm not sure if Vancouver has the same unpredictable weather.

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I put out my Crassulas, Aloes, citrus and Brugmansias.... and tonight the temp. are to be near +0 celsius... I should have waited until May.... over cover what you can if frost is expected.....

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

We have a similar saying here not till ist Tuesday in November (Melbourne cup day) that is southern hemisphere and it works.
    Mind you climate change may alter these tried and true methods :)
    Liz