Do I Spur Prune or Cane Prune These?

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Kildonan Gardener, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Kildonan Gardener

Kildonan Gardener Member

I have a Sovereign Coronation purple table grapevine. It is well established. I had grapes on it for the first time last year, and none this year, or any previous years. I have healthy cordons across the trellis. I can't find anyplace to tell me whether I should be cane or spur pruning it. I can't remember what was done the year they produced. I realize I cut too far back this winter and hadn't left any spurs. That is probably what I did the other years too.
    So: Sovereign Coronation, spur or cane pruned?
    I have planted a New York Red grapevine as well, and can't find it listed on line to see what way it should be pruned either.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

This is an "American" variety so prune to canes. Just a note: a spur is defined as a cane pruned to 2 to 4 buds (depending on the source, and sometimes the 2 bud canes are referred to as "renewal spurs") so does 5 buds for sure make it a "cane"? Your cane length will eventually be determined by how large the vine is (how much production can it sustain?), how far to the next vine, and your own experience - take notes and photos.

Your lack of fruit this year may be more to do with the long deep freeze in January 09 and perhaps your micro climate (are you susceptible to frost pooling?). Our vines were devastated (fruit wise), and we are maybe 80km from you as the crow flies. It may help if your fruiting canes are well off the ground.

Same general advice for your NY vines.

Ralph

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I see that Kildonan is on the west coast of Vancouver Island. That location should not have any problems with winter kill. Lack of heat during summer might prevent ripening of the fruit, but I doubt that it would inhibit fruit production. I have a young Sovereign Coronation vine that produced fruit for the first time this summer in Burnaby. It had a reasonable crop considering its age. I also had normal crops on three varieties of hybrid grapes and another Concord type, Fredonia. So incorrect pruning is the most likely reason for lack of fruit; all of my vines are cane pruned.