Do BC's arbutus trees harbour ticks?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Thomas Anonymous, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Thomas Anonymous

Thomas Anonymous Active Member

Growing up we were always told to avoid arbutus trees because ticks made them their home and would even jump down on you from them. I never really did buy into this, and then later on I read ticks didn't jump down onto their hosts, but rather climbed to the tops of grass stalks and tried to get brushed off onto the legs of a passing host.

Does anybody know if there is any truth to this 'ticks-hang-out-in-arbutus-trees' myth? I'm referring to the arbutus trees of southern BC and the Gulf Islands.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

These trees often occur with patches of salal beneath that impede movement of humans and animals; if there was some short specimens growing along a trail used by deer then there might be ticks on them. But I wouldn't expect a particular tendency for this tree to be favored by ticks. Deerbrush (Ceanothus) on the other hand, might have a highier than usual likelihood to be hosting ticks as it appears deer like to hide in it. Both my dog and I had wood ticks after walking just a short distance into an unusually (for this area) large solid stand of it along Hood Canal one time.

3. Thomas Anonymous

Thomas Anonymous Active Member

That makes sense --- any kind of vegetation can have ticks if the tick's hosts frequent the area its in.
    In all the hiking I've done in southern BC I've never had a tick.
    Good thing our mellow west coast ticks aren't Lyme disease carriers, or at least I've never heard of west coast ticks being carriers of Lyme disease. As far as I know it's only eastern north american ticks that carry it, but I'm no expert.