Dissectum seedlings 2020

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Nov 16, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Dissectum seedlings have proved to be rather temperamental, at least those I managed to germinate and that had the look of dissectum. Those that reverted more or less to the plain species of palmatum or amoenum are stronger, but very few of those with dissected leaves survived the first winter, or the second season.

I had twelve this year, one of them died in early summer, so that's 11 left. They're from an un-named red dissecum, and only one was mainly green. Each one has its own character, but as usual, you can't tell until they're 3 or 4 years old.

July 5th :

Semis20-disatro_200705b.jpg

November 14th :

Semis20-disatro_201114a.jpg

If only the one in the bottom left would survive and keep such colours...

Other seedlings (Sango kaku, Ryusen, Phoenix, ...) that were grown in 90% shade still have their leaves on, from green to red.

2. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Do all the seeds come from the same tree?

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Yes :

acerp_atro-dis02_sam_190727.jpg

4. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

I think they have a year to live.
    Do you think the seedlings can be kept growing constantly, controlling the hours of light, temperature and humidity?
    I ask you this because next year I plan to sow enough maple seeds, and since I have a small greenhouse with a warm bed, light, temperature and controlled humidity, my idea is to have everything controlled so that the seedlings do not stop growing, that is, that think that it is always spring.
    It could be done?

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I think seedlings, like all deciduous maples, need dormancy. So constant spring will probably not work.

Nice little guys Alain, I have a terrible time with dissectum seedlings, they are very difficult. I've heard the same experience from many people. I had a really good one that made it to a couple of years old, but then it died suddenly last year. Oh well!

AlainK likes this.