did I kill these maples?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Unregistered, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Last week I transplanted two japanese maples. They are both around 10 years old. One is a upright tree the other is well weird shaped. The trees were professionally balled up and delivered. But they sat on a trailer in the burlap and wire for a few weeks. I dug a couple holes and dropped the trees in after removing the bags. Watered the holes a little and everything looked good. Now the tips of the branches that used to be a maroon color are light brown and rather dead looking. What have I done? What can I do?

2. Layne Uyeno

Layne Uyeno Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

Since no one has chimed in I will. First, did you water the trees while they sat for weeks in the burlap sacks? I hope you did. The info below will help. What you have to understand is trees will go through transplant shock and that's what your's is experiencing. If the trees looks otherwise fine despite some branch tips drying they'll be fine as long as you water them adequately until they're established in their new spot. This can take up to a year or so.

http://www.japanesemaples.com/information/care.shtml

Hope this helps,

Layne

3. Layne

Thanks very much for the reply. I was getting worried. I did not water the trees while they sat but I am fairly certain they got plenty of water. I had intended on watering them but it rained and rained and rained. I checked the trees often and the dirt was always wet. I hope that was enough. I have been watering them since planting them and will continue to do so. I am glad you replied. I was thinking maybe I should cut off all the dead branches to save the tree. (wouldnt have done that without council) Thanks again for the help.