Did I cut these seeds to early and which one is the seed?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by vicarious1, May 20, 2009.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello.
    Just done my 1st seed trade with one of the forum members.. exciting. Thank you.
    After that I found some other seeds and started harvesting but now my partners makes me doubt as he says I MAY have cut them to early.
    One is a yellow/green water grass. The other one is a bright lime/green decorative grass that has a long stem with sort of mini bananas with dots and like a brush on top . Which one is the seed? Or is it the tiny little things falling off the brushes.
    The picture of the garden shows the water grass in the center right and the normal lime green on the bottom of the pcitures
    Some of the stems with the seeds on them started to get tired and bend towards the ground so I thought they will fall I must get them before they fall to the soil.
    The other one is from a tiny small flowers /perrenisal that comes in R[pink& white and yellow/and white...and I saw the seeds hiding UNDER the leaves nearly on the ground coming UP from the basement so my eyes were on ground level. they look like tiny short string beans.
    http://visualsenses.smugmug.com/gallery/8160301_sy4QH#532622723_779B8
    I also upload a pic of the seed/flower of my Japanese Red Maple and would like to know WHEN to collect them. What must they look like ( in moment still quite colorful)
    I also collected the flowers of my PINK DOGWOOD tree . Are the centers of these flowers of the seeds.
    http://visualsenses.smugmug.com/gallery/8160301_sy4QH#532610796_L53RJ or did I miss it when they were still on the tree?
    When can I plant them and hope to grow baby trees or send them to others who may want some.
    My ENZIAN how can I get seems to multiply them in other areas?
    http://visualsenses.smugmug.com/gallery/8160301_sy4QH#532613426_cmSUW
    I also photographed my RODODINDRON and would love to know WHAT IS THE SEED and how can I harvest RODO seeds in general . there are so many nice colrs around town I could easy go and get some seeds and start a trial to grow some.
    I add a shot of PEONY flower and wonder WHEN is it the right time to harvest the thick 3 center seems that seem to grow there .
    Any general advise would be MUCH apreciated
    I finish off with a picture just for the pleasur of the eye from the center of a soaking wet tulip.
    thank you so much .

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. vicarious1

I have now collected from my neigbor these totally dried Enzian bloom
    But WHERE is the seed ? is it inside or was it on a pistil and I lost it ?
    Anyone in the know and how and when (if they are inside there)
    can i plant them STILL this year or do need to wait till next spring ?
    I am happy if only the green part grows now in the summer.
    Thank you .

Attached Files:

3. vicarious1

Would still love to get some answers on
    how and WHEN to collect grass seeds correctly.
    I seem to have either planted incorrectly or collected at the wrong time my grass seeds. I do have Tricolor ribbon grass again blooming and want to know how and when EXACTLY the seeds are to be collected. A photo reference would be helpful
    I know its supposed to be dry etc but they are dry at several stages since the blooming.
    Thank you.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't know much about the Enzian, but in the photo the flower corolla is dried, but the ovaries do not look developed. With grasses, I think it is the same. You have to wait for the full development of the seed, before harvest. IN some woody plants the seed is not developed until the following year. Unfortunately you have to look up each plant to know the best time to collect, but look more for the fruit/ovary development rather than the fade of the other flower parts.

5. vicarious1

Thank you SNIF SNIF :-(
    That's all there was ......
    I guess it's down to shop seeds next year..Thank you.