Dicksonia antarctica

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by kevind76, Nov 6, 2010.

1. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I just bought a small Dicksonia antarctica, and was wondering the best care for it indoors over the winter. I will take it outside for the summer (if it lives that long!). I have had it about a week, and some of the fronds are wilting. Does it need more water? humidity? Or is it just transplant shock from the greenhouse? What temperatures do they prefer in the winter? Do they need cool winter temps or do they just tollerate them? I have a 'cool room', where I grow cold-temperate plants and dormant some, and have a 'warm room', where I grow tropicals. It is in my living room right now, as that is only place it can fit! This is an awesome species, and I've always wanted one, but I think I maybe should have resisted the urge. I just want it to live!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Needs very high humidity - that's going to be difficult to provide indoors in winter. Temperatures 2 to 15°C (and the occasional frost down to around -5°), the 'cool room' would probably be best.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, not liable to be a happy house plant. Wants more light and humidity, less warmth than typical inside human dwellings. Outcome depends on what specific situations you have, maybe there is a cool window you will be able to place it near to achieve success.

Summer conditions there will also have to suit it. Not a hot climate plant.

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Will I need to grow it over winter, or can it go dormant? It is growing a new frond right now and appears to be happy. I'll try to keep it moist and as humid as I can until I can get it outside in the spring. So, I'm more asking how I can keep it over winter than how I can keep it as a house plant.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It should really go dormant, but if it is growing a frond now, don't let it get too cold.

Note, although it should be kept humid and moist, it is important to give it reasonable soil drainage, don't let it sit in waterlogged soil.