Desperatly seeking Reine Claude and Mirabelle...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by dominique nonnon, Mar 27, 2008.

1. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

They must be around 8 years old now. They were 3 when I got them I think. It took a long time to get fruits because of my soil but truly worth it, the jam I did with the ones we didn't eat is amazing.

2. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

Hi Stephanie,
    They are 9 years old now. Turns out they were mislabeled and I gave one tree to a neighbour thinking it was the second Reine Claude of the lot but since I have 2 reine Claude trees in my graden now, I guess she got the Mirabelle. The poor tree is planted in the shade and has not bear fruit yet. My 2 Reine Claudes are doing better. We have had sizeable crops the last 2 years. Those plus are amazing! Unfortunatelly one tree is getting sick and I will remove it this automn hoping the second one is not contaminated.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  3. Stéphanie Filippi

Stéphanie Filippi New Member

Hi Dominique, sorry to hear that you still don't have Mirabelle, glad at least you got reine Claude plums...

I am getting Mirabelle trees from Pepiniere Ancestrale, QC this year supposedly.
    Fingers crossed they are the real tree.

If they do have it in Quebec, not sure why such a challenge to get them imported in other provinces? Different legislation?

Pepiniere ancestrale got their first Mirabelle tree from France originally. They keep grafting it... maybe the rules have changed since then.

What colors reine claude do you have? the red plums? Sorry to hear one of your two tree is now sick. How to protect fruit trees from disease?

Stephanie

4. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

The Reine Claudes from my trees are golden/green when ripe. Extremely juicy and sweet. The skin is thin and does not have this acid tang most local plums have.
    My neighbor have 3 italian plum trees, all sick with this gnarly gale that attacks branches. (Those trees were already sick when I moved in).
    I cut back mine below the infection but it keeps coming back. I lost a French Kiss plum tree like that 2 years ago. Some trees seem resistants. The second Reine Claude is still intact. The Mirabelle I gave to a neighbor, while still very small is not affected. I think Canada is banning the import of all European plums trees because they may carry a disease that is not present on canadian soil yet. They try to prevent an infestation. I saw lots of healthy plums in France while our trees are so sick here. I trust the infection they have in Europe is a different one. Good luck with your Mirabelle, it is such a treat to have this in our gardens, nothing store bought can compare!
    Dominique