Delayed Planting

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by stonesqd, Sep 23, 2012.

1. stonesqd

stonesqd Member

I have an opportunity to get some Mahonia x repens and Mahonia x nervosa as well as some ferns at a great price. My woodland garden is not ready for planting yet, though (pathways and soil need to be brought in and developed). Can I keep these in the pots that they come in from the nursery until I can get them into the ground next year?

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Sure, just put the pots in a suitable spot and keep from drying out until the rains come.

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I'm far from an expert but since they grow wild around here I don't see a problem. Make sure the pots are roomy enough and when you do plant them make sure it's done right. Since your planting Mahonia what about adding Salal. The Native americans used to mix the berries together and make a sauce. Salal berries are bla but sweet. When you add the Oregon grape berrries which are quite tart you get a good mix for jam. Have fun barb

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Note that neither of the two Mahonia species you mention are hybrids, so the x in the names isn't useful. Mahonia nervosa and Mahonia repens are correct (if one assumes that Mahonia is the best genus name for these, as some sites now use Berberis).

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

As mentioned look to see that conditions within the pots permit them being held over in the same containers. Stock obtained at this time of the year often has crowded roots (a pandemic problem not actually limited to fall) and decomposed potting medium. If you are going to keep them in pots for additional months you may need to repot, into larger containers and fresh medium. You do not want them to deteriorate prior to planting, condition of stock at planting has a major influence on establishment and subsequent development. "Sad" plants may often go on to linger and dwindle, instead of taking hold and bouncing back.

There is an annual root elongation episode among hardy trees and shrubs that occurs each fall after the tops have matured and set winter buds. If your plants have not undergone this yet there may soon be comparatively sudden crowding of the roots within the pots that might not be evident now. But I'm thinking Oregon grapes would have reached this seasonal state by now.