deer on Vancouver Island

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Paula B, Jul 13, 2009.

1. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Margot, I'm surprised that your electric fence didn't work; perhaps the charger/energizer didn't put out enough voltage. Was it powered by batteries or 120 VAC? I've used two chargers over the last 30 years, both AC powered; and both put out enough voltage to feel a significant shock even when standing on dry concrete with rubber-soled shoes. They've been 100% effective during that time, regardless of the weather; although, I did water the ground under the wires occasionally during really dry weather.

2. Anne Kivari

Anne Kivari Member

I used Bobbex and many other methods to try and discourage deer from browsing the gardens at VIU Horticulture Dept. in Nanaimo where I worked. The best product I found is called Meat Meal which is sold now through Cinnabar Valley Farms in Nanaimo. You require an account to purchase there. The product was developed by a local person in Nanaimo and is inexpensive compared to PlantSkyd and I originally purchased it in Home Depot for around $7.00 for a 1.5 kg. container. Not sold instore any longer since Cinnabar bought the rights to it. Made from deceased deer carcass and when deer approaching your plants smell it they think there has been a kill and leave. It does wash off and needs to be reapplied after a few rain events but I found it to be the longest lasting and most effective repellent for deer. My dog loved licking it off the plants! It's also a soil fertilizer similar to Blood Meal.

Margot likes this.
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

All that's needed is black plastic deer netting stapled to peeler poles.