Date Palms

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Chloe, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Chloe

Chloe Member

I live in Victoria, BC and love date fruit. Is it possible to grow productive date palms in Victoria? I bought a date palm last weekend from a reputable nursery with the impression that it would produce dates. But after reading some internet material, I think I learned that two date palm trees are needed to produce fruit. Also, my neighbours and another nursery told me today that date palms are not productive this far north, but date palm trees grow very well in this climate. I was sooooo looking forward to growing my own dates. Please tell me what I need to do. The nursery also told me that the variety of date palm I bought would be dwarfed to about 8-12 feet tall, which is what I want. I don't want an 80 foot tree. Are there dwarfed varieties and what are their names?

Chloe

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

True fruiting edible dates (Phoenix dactylifera) is not a long term palm here on Vancouver Island. It may make a winter or two, but never grow to maturity. It's true that a male and female date palm must be present for fruit production. There are others in the genus (Phoenix roebelenii - dwarf date palm) that are much smaller and frost tender, grown for ornimental purposes only. If date palms where truly hardy here, it's certain someone would have a farm and be in production by now. Look around the grocery store and you'll never see "Grown on Vancouver Island" on any date packaging. If you want fresh dates, your only choice is the produce section.

3. oscar

oscar Active Member

now you've bought it, the only chance you have is to plant it close to a south facing wall, protect it with fleece in the coldest parts of winter.........its still a beautiful plant. (those naughty nurserymen)

4. Chloe

Chloe Member

Thanks for your replies. I called another nursery who told me that they only sell Windmill palms because Windmill palms were the only palms that were able to withstand one particularily cold winter here in Victoria. They recommended that I call the nursery that sold me the date palm and ask to return it or ask for a guarantee in writing that it will grow and produce fruit. I think I'll go with either a refund or ask them to exchange it for a Windmill Palm since I like the palm tree look.

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

There are other palms capable of withstanding Victoria area winters, but they are scarce and usually in the hands (and gardens) of collectors. Many of these other "hardy" palms require more specific planting and care. One inparticular is the Mediterranean fan palm (Chamearops humilis) which is often carried in local garden centers.
    By far the most common and fool proof is the Windmill palm (Trachycarpus fortunei) and certainly the best palm to plant if it's your first palm. No date fruit but rewarding just the same.

Cheers, LPN.

6. Chloe

Chloe Member

Thanks LPN. I checked again and learned that the variety I bought is the humilis. And we just happened to have had unexpected frost, hail, and snow. Unfortunately, I was at work when these weathers occured. So, my husband and I checked our palm yesterday and it looks great! Not one leaf damaged. Now I just hope it will thrive.