Identification: Dark brown mushrooms for id, please

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Sundrop, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Growing in grass close to Pine trees. Spore print probably brown, but I am having difficulties with obtaining spore print, could be that the spores are washed out by too much rain. Flesh very firm. No distinct smell.

brown_mushrooms1_2016-10-28.jpg brown_mushrooms3_2016-10-28.jpg brown_mushrooms4_2016-10-28.jpg brown_mushrooms2_2016-10-28.jpg

2. Sundrop

I repeated the spore print, this time it worked, and it is white. The old mushrooms are quite big. They are all over my yard, growing in grass, close to Pine trees, under Douglas Firs and close to Norway Spruces.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Noting size, habitat, what looks like a notched gill attachment and white spore print: I'm thinking something like Tricholoma striatum. Is there any particular smell to these, or any part that changes colour with age or bruising?

4. Sundrop

Thank you very much Frog. Yes, my mushrooms look very close to Tricholoma striatum.

I haven't noticed any particular smell or bruising. It looks like the gills are changing colour to darker, sometimes as dark as dark brown as they age.

I tried to find more info about Tricholoma striatum on the Net but it is difficult to find much, and everything (mostly pictures only) seems to be on European websites. Is the species common in North America? On my property here in the West Kootenay it looks like an invasion of them.

Are they poisonous?

Here are more pictures. They look slightly different depending on where they grow, but I believe it is all the same species (the light is different on the last two pictures).

brown_mushrooms4_2016-11-03.jpg brown_mushrooms1_2016-11-03.jpg brown_mushrooms3_2016-11-03.jpg brown_mushrooms2_2016-11-03.jpg brown_mushrooms_2016-11-04.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  5. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Some Tricholomas are edible, some are poisonous. I don't know this species (*if* this ID is correct), so I can't comment on.

A reported synonym is T. albobrunneum, which one source lists as "edible but indigestible" which is an interesting description.

Some Tricholomas like the colder weather, later in the fall, and I am seeing many different species popping up lately.

cheers,
    frog

6. Sundrop

Thanks, I did more searching. Yes, on some pictures T. albobrunneum look very similar to my mushrooms.

One of U of Michigan webpages Tricholoma albobrunneum says they have "Taste mild and pleasant." I don't know if I will test this, probably not, have enough other mushrooms growing here that I am sure are edible.

Here is a little video showing late fall/winter mushroom picking of some kind of Tricholoma (grey Tricholoma) in Russia or may be in Ukraine. They must be tasty!