dandilions by the acre

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by barb s, May 7, 2007.

1. barb s

barb s Active Member

How do I get rid of all the dandilions on my grass... and there is a zillion of them.
    If I use round up I will have no lawn at all ! Plus I would have to by a barrel of the deadly stuff !

Barb S

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Use spot treatments instead of spraying the entire lawn.

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

Round-up, even with spot treatments, is not a good idea for the lawn....try a broadleaf weed control product containing 2,4-D. You can apply it with spot treatment or broadcast it over the entire lawn.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Amine herbicides are not a good idea for pets, children and the environment.

5. Kitchen Gardener

Kitchen Gardener Member

I just ignore dandilions,they disappear when the grass is cut.I will pull them out of flowerbeds though.Besides,with the water restrictions here the lawn dies by July anyway.

6. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

if you don't want to use 2,4-D products (which is the most effective) you can use a weed wicker which looks like a sponge mop. http://www.amazon.com/Rittenhouse-Wick-Weeder-Herbicide-Applicator/dp/B000306AJC
    this allows you to only put hercide on the target without the risk of spray drift and turf injury. if using this techniqe with round-up on a bermuda lawn, you should be okay. you might have some dead spots, but it will fill in quickly. for the future, put down a preemergence that controls dandelions in late September. This will help tremendously on preventing dandelions.

7. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Barb, if you live within the City of Vancouver you would not be allowed to use any of these products mentioned.

Don't use Round Up on your lawn and if you do,, you will have a dead lawn and green dandilions as Round Up doesn't do much to Dandilions anyway, its a grassy weed killer.

You would want to use 2,4-D as mentioned, it is designed as a lawn weed control. And the drive to the store would probably be more damaging for the environment then the lawn weed spray would be.

And if you live in the City of Vancouver and are not allowed to have a weed free lawn, maybe send Sam Sulivan an email asking if he could contact the kindergarden class that designed his pesticide bylaw and see if they are considering any changes that may benefit the environment yet. Sorry I just had to say that.

Fell free to send me a PM as weed spray season is starting

Dixie, If there was a lawn pre-emergent for Dandilions here in Canada I would be rich, I would love to here what you have available south of the boarder. Thanks Jim.

8. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Not sure but I think 2,4-D is outlawed in some areas.

I would think it poses some dangers. Here is an Australian web site

http://permits.nra.gov.au/chemrev/2,4-D_products_status.shtml

Seems drastic solution for some fairly harmless weeds..
    One way I have had some success in keeping dandelions at bay is not to cut your grass into the ground.

I noticed in my paddocks that every time the area was overgrazed by the geese the broadleaf stuff would take hold. Cape weed dandelions. If I allowed the area time to recover and not overgraze then the grass held it's own.
    Liz

9. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Barb,
    Dandelions are here to stay whether we like it or not. It was brought to North America because it 'was' such a useful plant - culinary, breverage and medicinal. However after landing here, it found the country to its liking and without a single pest or disease it puts its Hobo instinct to good use, spreading wherever the wind takes it. So, I just tolerate it, pull them up by hand if they encroach into my flower, vegetable or fruit beds (like Kitchen Gardener said), and learn to appreciate its beautiful flower and eat it whenever I feel I need a change. Incidentally it is extremely rich in beta carotene and iron but be careful as it is also a powerful diuretic as testified by its English name 'Pee in Bed'. (Dandelion was adopted from the French.) This year I'll try to collect the seeds and use them as sprouts.
    Peace and have a good weekend
    Thean

10. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

products containing active ingredients of either prodiamine (Barricade) or isoxaben (Gallery or Snapshot) will do the trick if applied once in late September and again in late February. These are recommendations for Southeat USA. It won't completely prevent them from germinating, but greatly reduces the number that do.