Damping off Problems

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by lidlekitty, Mar 24, 2007.

1. lidlekitty

lidlekitty Member

Hello!

I have been trying to root cuttings that I take off of my plants. I use a rooting gel that is supposed to help prevent damping off but its not working. I keep the plants under a humidity dome and they are planted in rockwool squares. The plants seem to just start taking hold and then one or two will damp off, the next thing i know everything surrounding the infected plants dies too.
    What causes damping off?
    How can I control it?
    Should I use a different medium to start the plants in?

I appreciate your help !

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, sanitation is the answer - if water molds, fungi or bacteria are killing your cuttings. Damping off per se refers to seedlings being attacked at soil level and bending over, but you may have a smiliar problem.

3. hortfreak

hortfreak Active Member Maple Society

If you are using the same dome over and over again, perhaps you should clean it thoroughly with a 10% bleach solution before using it again if you aren't doing that now. Maybe you are introducing fungi from an unclean cover. It is absolutely essential to use sterile equipment (including pots and any cutting utensils) when trying to root cuttings. Also, maybe the environment is too moist. It is possible to overdo it. I know I have to be extra careful, because my house seems to be overly humid, which means likely mould issues. I have trouble with seedlings, too, if I get a bit lax.

4. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

I use a product called No-Damp or something like that. It comes in a little jar and you mix it up according to directions, and then water your plants with it. Works great.