Cycad leaf photo

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Sunset Cycads, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

This is a leaf detail of a beautiful Dioon spinulosum. The leaves are very stiff and a sort of sage grey-green, in a nice arching spray. This plant is four years old and about three feet high. Just thought I'd share it with you all.

Attached Files:

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have a few of these a fellow gardener gave to me. He grew them from seed and was moving out of town. Nice plants but too tender for my garden.

Cheers, LPN.

3. Sunset Cycads

Yes, they definitely have to be kept in pots and overwintered indoors. They make nice specimen plants, though. How old are yours, and how large?

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I haven't really laid eyes on these for sometime. They're in my crawl space (lighted) for winter and I get in to water every month or so. Temps are between 42f and 50f (6c - 10c) The largest one is probably about 2 feet tall and the 2 others are less than a foot tall. I have no idea how old they would be since they where given to me. Seems like they want to grow when the weather cools down and never in mid-summer. I have left them a couple of times and subjected them to a degree of two of frost. I am neglectfull sometimes.

Cheers, LPN.

5. palmera

palmera Active Member

S.C.,

I have a 5 year old Cycad revoluta that pushed out 4 new large leaves last year. Now the old set of leaves (12 or so) are yellowing. I am assuming that they are dying down. Should I wait until they are very brown before cutting them off or will it do any damage if I cut now?

Thanks!

6. Sunset Cycads

LPN:

Yes, cycads have a habit of sticking to the growth cycle they would maintain in their native lands, which is why a lot of them throw new leaves in winter. I see lots of new leaves poking up through the soil in my collection right now.

7. Sunset Cycads

Palmera:

If the new leaves are fully unfurled you can safely cut off the old leaves. Sounds like you are giving it what it needs to stay healthy and flourishing!