Crumbling raspberry

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by ELIZA HICKS, Jul 31, 2020.

1. ELIZA HICKS

ELIZA HICKS New Member

Hi. I have a bramble that came with the house. The first year it made big purplish raspberries. I wondered if it was a tayberry or loganberry. No way to know. But this is the third summer of small, crumbling berries. It is in a patch with lots of more standard type red raspberries which are all fine. Water has not been an issue (especially this year). I suspect a virus. There are lots of wild thimbleberry and black caps nearby. My guess is the red raspberries are not susceptible. Does this theory make sense? Is there any way to save this bramble?

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forums, Eliza. It would be very helpful if you could send a picture or two of the raspberries.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

4. ELIZA HICKS

ELIZA HICKS New Member

20200801_134142.jpg 20200801_134058.jpg 20200801_134044.jpg 20200801_134035.jpg

Attached Files:

5. ELIZA HICKS

ELIZA HICKS New Member

Done! You can see the leaves are in good shape. New canes are fine. The fruit-bearing canes are extremely long (at least 8ft), and the new ones light green. I would judge the bramble to be more spiky than the red raspberries, but not as spiky as my blackberries.

6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It turns out that there is a problem found in raspberries actually called 'Crumbly Berry'.

There are a number of websites you could check to see if you agree. Here is one:

"If you find malformed berries on your canes that have only a couple of drupes and fall apart at a touch, you have crumbly berries. What is crumbly berry? We’ve all seen the fruits that failed to live up to their promised splendor. A fungal disease usually causes this. Crumbly raspberry fruit may also be the result of poor pollination, sneaky little mites, or even overeager hoeing and trimming. Find out reasons for berries falling apart and how to ensure gorgeous, full berries on your plants."

Read more at Gardening Know How: Crumbly Berries: Information And Reasons For Raspberries Falling Apart https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/raspberry/reasons-for-crumbly-berries.htm

I hope you find a way to control the problem. The ripe berries look delicious!

7. ELIZA HICKS

ELIZA HICKS New Member

I saw that site... it says fungus in that first paragraph but doesn't address it at all below. It only addresses viruses as the cause. Fungus or virus, I would love to know if I can get it to go away.