Crepe myrtle pruning

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Daniel Mosquin, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

I live in south Louisiana and want to transplant 3 large crepe myrtles now, in October. They are in need of a good pruning. Can I do it just before I transplant them (it would make it easier to transplant) or should I wait until after I've transplanted them and they're established?

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

If you can dig a hole now while the ground is easy to manage do so. Dig the hole deep and wide enough to accomodate the root ball. Make the hole a little bigger than you will need. Then put peat moss, manure or compost plus soil in the hole so it is ready to receive the plant you will be transplanting. With a saw slice in the soil a line around the plants you wish to tranpslant. You will have to determine how big a root ball you can easily lift. They are now ready to dig in midwinter, the best time to do the transplanting, but early Spring would work as well. Be aware that root pruning will reduce the rate of growth and that the plant may take some time before it recovers full vigor.

3. I am quite interested in this discussion as I am also anticipating transplanting 2 or 3 mature crepe myrtles. Are you able to elaborate on your statement "With a saw slice in the soil a line around the plants you wish to tranpslant"? What type of a saw should be used for this purpose? Is the idea to cut right through the dirt? How big of a rootball is ideal assuming that I am willing to rent a small crane to do the lifting?